Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
"Santiago M. Mola"

Default Some new global USE-flags

On Dec 20, 2007 10:48 PM, Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> > These are potentially ambiguos.
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit about the raw one?

Just that "raw" could mean more things. Anyway, I have no problem with
that since current packages in the tree use it as "raw image format"
and new packages which need such flag for a different meaning could
set it to something more meaningful.

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com

Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
"William L. Thomson Jr."

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 19:57 +0100, Markus Meier wrote:

> java5 6

I think eventually we want to do something else there and possibly get
rid of that flag. Otherwise we would also end up with java6, java7, ...
We aren't exactly saying don't do it, but don't think we would want to
push it globally.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java

Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Chris Gianelloni

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 19:57 +0100, Markus Meier wrote:
> novideo 5

These should probably really go away and use package.use and such to use
the already-existing videos USE flag.

> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]

Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
branding isn't outside the scope of the project. We still stay as close
to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes. Also, it can still be
disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead

Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Marius Mauch

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:58:39 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:57:12 +0100
> Markus Meier <maekke@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > server 12
>
> See previous discussions on why this can't be global (essentially, it
> has different meanings for everything).

Those dicussions usually ended with "lets wait for use-deps". And the general meaning of it is "enable the server part of the package", just that the impact of "server part" varies greatly between packages and isn't always intuitive.

Marius

Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 AM
"Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-"

No on logrotate per several previous conversations.

The majority of the ones listed are not globally relevent which is the
first criteria for creating a new global use flag.

Michael Sterrett
-Mr. Bones.-
mr_bones_@gentoo.org

Old 12-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Steve Long

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
>> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]
>
> Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
> on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
> branding isn't outside the scope of the project. We still stay as close
> to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
> optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes. Also, it can still be
> disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.

I have no objection to it being flagged on by default in desktop profiles,
but "Gentoo-specific minor config changes" concerns me, since I take it as
given that installing for a specific distro implies config changes to work
with that distro, and not having those because I have turned branding off
sounds bad for me as a user and seems a confusion of purpose. (It could
lead to more optional config changes bundled in future which wouldn't be
apparent without knowledge of the ebuild.)

Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Chris Gianelloni

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 05:53 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
>
> >> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
> >> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]
> >
> > Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
> > on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
> > branding isn't outside the scope of the project. We still stay as close
> > to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
> > optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes. Also, it can still be
> > disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.
> >
> I have no objection to it being flagged on by default in desktop profiles,
> but "Gentoo-specific minor config changes" concerns me, since I take it as
> given that installing for a specific distro implies config changes to work
> with that distro, and not having those because I have turned branding off
> sounds bad for me as a user and seems a confusion of purpose. (It could
> lead to more optional config changes bundled in future which wouldn't be
> apparent without knowledge of the ebuild.)

Well, by this I meant something like bug #170059 which would mean
changing the default home page (minor config change) to something
Gentoo-specific. Not all config changes are for required functionality.
Sorry, I had assumed that people on this list would be technical and
able to realize this without it being explicitly spelled-out.