-   -   EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/20824-eapi-definition-use-eapi-suffixed-ebuilds-ebuild-eapi.html)

Bo ěrsted Andresen 12-21-2007 02:47 PM

On Thursday 20 December 2007 20:01:55 Zhang Le wrote:
> IMO, we can not have more than two EAPI's simultaneously.

That defeats the whole purpose of having EAPIs. Which is to keep a sane
upgrade path...

--
Bo Andresen

Zhang Le 12-22-2007 08:49 AM

Bo ěrsted Andresen wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2007 20:01:55 Zhang Le wrote:
>> IMO, we can not have more than two EAPI's simultaneously.
>
> That defeats the whole purpose of having EAPIs. Which is to keep a sane
> upgrade path...

Upgrading happens between two versions.

When a new version comes out, we should educate developers about it and
encourage them to convert their ebuilds to use new EAPI.
When this finished, we can start upgrading to a more new version of EAPI.
IMHO, that should be the right way to go.
However, I think there is still devs don't know about EAPI-1.

If we allow multiple EAPI's to co-exist, do we need a upper limit on that
number? Or as many as someone likes? then our tree IMO will become a total
mess. People will not remember clearly differences between so many EAPI's.

--
Zhang Le, Robert
GPG key ID: 1E4E2973

Ciaran McCreesh 12-22-2007 11:43 AM

EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:49:32 +0800
Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> When a new version comes out, we should educate developers about it
> and encourage them to convert their ebuilds to use new EAPI.

No, we shouldn't. People should use new EAPIs as necessary, not as soon
as possible.

> If we allow multiple EAPI's to co-exist, do we need a upper limit on
> that number?

No. Package managers have to support all EAPIs that have ever been
around anyway to deal with installed packages.

> Or as many as someone likes? then our tree IMO will become a total
> mess. People will not remember clearly differences between so many
> EAPI's.

They don't need to. They just need to be familiar with recent EAPIs.
The only people who have to keep track of all of them are the package
manager people.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Zhang Le 12-22-2007 05:06 PM

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:49:32 +0800
> Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> When a new version comes out, we should educate developers about it
>> and encourage them to convert their ebuilds to use new EAPI.
>
> No, we shouldn't. People should use new EAPIs as necessary, not as soon
> as possible.

Then we should at least provide them a doc first and let them know when the
doc is already. So they can learn when they feel like they should learn.

Marius Mauch 12-27-2007 06:16 PM

EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:10:13 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Ok, that seems a fine definition of what an eapi is. Everybody agrees on it?

Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has to export to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics of exported and expected functions and variables (IOW the content of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not contain naming and versioning rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).

Marius

Luca Barbato 12-27-2007 09:26 PM

Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:10:13 +0100
> Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Ok, that seems a fine definition of what an eapi is. Everybody agrees on it?
>
> Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has to export
> to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics of exported and expected
> functions and variables (IOW the content of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not
> contain naming and versioning rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).

This restricted definition is ok for everybody?

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Doug Klima 12-27-2007 09:40 PM

Luca Barbato wrote:
> Marius Mauch wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:10:13 +0100
>> Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, that seems a fine definition of what an eapi is. Everybody agrees on it?
>>>
>> Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has to export
>> to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics of exported and expected
>> functions and variables (IOW the content of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not
>> contain naming and versioning rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).
>>

> This restricted definition is ok for everybody?
>
> lu

Logical and proper to me.

"Sven Vermeulen" 12-28-2007 05:57 AM

EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)

On Dec 27, 2007 11:40 PM, Doug Klima <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
[... EAPI is stuff PM supports/exports to the ebuild ...]
> Logical and proper to me.

Actually, when I'm asked what EAPI is, I just say "EAPI is a standard
definition for the ebuild structure, implying supporting features from
the package manager."

Most of the time, the user is happy with the answer ;-)

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Ciaran McCreesh 12-28-2007 11:03 AM

EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:26:27 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Marius Mauch wrote:
> > Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has
> > to export to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics
> > of exported and expected functions and variables (IOW the content
> > of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not contain naming and versioning
> > rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).
>
> This restricted definition is ok for everybody?

The restricted definition is certainly OK, but I'm not convinced that
the restriction is necessary. There's no particular reason that new
version formats can't be introduced in a new EAPI so long as the
version strings don't appear in ebuilds using older EAPIs or in
profiles. Ditto for naming rules.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

"Santiago M. Mola" 12-28-2007 11:25 AM

EAPI definition Was: Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)

On Dec 28, 2007 1:03 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> There's no particular reason that new
> version formats can't be introduced in a new EAPI so long as the
> version strings don't appear in ebuilds using older EAPIs or in
> profiles. Ditto for naming rules.

Errr... so should we use new files in profiles for such new formats?
(for example, p.masking an ebuild with a new version format).

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com