-   -   diff /usr/portage (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/18799-diff-usr-portage.html)

smurfd 12-13-2007 12:07 PM

diff /usr/portage

Hi!

So im wondering, and i have not really done any research, if this has been up on discussion before..
but, wouldnt it be a pretty neat thing to do, to make "emerge --sync" do a diff on your /usr/portage compared to the remote repository.

Then, just merge the differences.

Would obviously make alot of sense, if you do, say, daily emerge --sync's.
(so you could like check if the diff became more than X lines, then just clear /usr/portage (as it does today))

Sounds like a good idea, in my head, atleast...

Best regards
/N

"Fernando J. Pereda" 12-13-2007 12:15 PM

diff /usr/portage

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:07:07PM +0100, smurfd wrote:
> Hi!
>
> i have not really done any research

This is a very good moment to do so.

- ferdy

--
Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartn
20BB BDC3 761A 4781 E6ED ED0B 0A48 5B0C 60BD 28D4

"Vladimir Rusinov" 12-13-2007 12:41 PM

diff /usr/portage

So im wondering, and i have not really done any research, if this has been up on discussion before..
but, wouldnt it be a pretty neat thing to do, to make "emerge --sync" do a diff on your /usr/portage compared to the remote repository.

Then, just merge the differences.
emerge-delta-webrsync

--
Vladimir Rusinov
GreenMice Solutions: IT-решения на базе Linux

Wernfried Haas 12-13-2007 12:43 PM

diff /usr/portage

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:07:07PM +0100, smurfd wrote:
> So im wondering, and i have not really done any research, if this has been
> up on discussion before..
> but, wouldnt it be a pretty neat thing to do, to make "emerge --sync" do a
> diff on your /usr/portage compared to the remote repository.
>
> Then, just merge the differences.

That's how it works, based on rsync.

Further questions and explanations may be better off on the support
channels, such as the user-list, #gentoo or the forums, but not here,
as this isn't a development issue.

cheers,
Wernfried

--
Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne (at) gentoo.org
Gentoo Forums - http://forums.gentoo.org