FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Peter Volkov
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
>
> > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
>
> while you're here, i'd change to:
> : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}

Why? This looks less readable...

--
Peter.
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Matti Bickel
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On 09/16/2010 09:29 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> + if [[ -f ${D}/usr/bin/fox-config ]] ; then
>> + mv "${D}/usr/bin/fox-config" "${D}/usr/bin/fox-${FOXVER}-config"
>> fi
>
> seems like you would want || die here

Why? I can't imagine how that could fail.
 
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 16:24:14 Matti Bickel wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 09:29 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >> + if [[ -f ${D}/usr/bin/fox-config ]] ; then
> >> + mv "${D}/usr/bin/fox-config" "${D}/usr/bin/fox-${FOXVER}-config"
> >>
> >> fi
> >
> > seems like you would want || die here
>
> Why? I can't imagine how that could fail.

then the `die` should never be called
-mike
 
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 15:41:27 Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
> >
> > while you're here, i'd change to:
> > : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}
>
> Why? This looks less readable...

only because your eyes arent tuned to it
-mike
 
Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:34:17 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 16, 2010 15:41:27 Peter Volkov wrote:
> > В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > > > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
> > >
> > > while you're here, i'd change to:
> > > : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}
> >
> > Why? This looks less readable...
>
> only because your eyes arent tuned to it

What exactly is the advantage though? Is it something to do with command vs
assignment?


--
fonts, gcc-porting, we hold our breath, we spin around the world
toolchain, wxwidgets you and me cling to the outside of the earth
@ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 23:51:21 Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:34:17 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 16, 2010 15:41:27 Peter Volkov wrote:
> > > В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > > > > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
> > > >
> > > > while you're here, i'd change to:
> > > > : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}
> > >
> > > Why? This looks less readable...
> >
> > only because your eyes arent tuned to it
>
> What exactly is the advantage though? Is it something to do with command
> vs assignment?

i guess if you like typing the same variable name twice, then the old style is
for you. i do not like.
-mike
 
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Peter Volkov
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 18:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> On Thursday, September 16, 2010 15:41:27 Peter Volkov wrote:
> > В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > > > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
> > >
> > > while you're here, i'd change to:
> > > : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}
> >
> > Why? This looks less readable...
>
> only because your eyes arent tuned to it

Instead of explicit variable assignment (what was intended) you suggest
to call `:` command and implicitly assign variable with bash parameter
expansion...

--
Peter.
 
Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

On Friday, September 17, 2010 01:06:19 Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 18:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > On Thursday, September 16, 2010 15:41:27 Peter Volkov wrote:
> > > В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 15:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
> > > > > FOX_PV="${FOX_PV:-${PV}}"
> > > >
> > > > while you're here, i'd change to:
> > > > : ${FOX_PV:=${PV}}
> > >
> > > Why? This looks less readable...
> >
> > only because your eyes arent tuned to it
>
> Instead of explicit variable assignment (what was intended) you suggest
> to call `:` command and implicitly assign variable with bash parameter
> expansion...

what exactly is your point ? there is no performance difference. my style
suggestion however is significantly more compact and has no redundancy.
-mike
 
Old 09-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Michael Haubenwallner
 
Default RFC: fox.eclass update

Must admit that I have no idea of what "fox" is at all, but:

On 09/16/2010 08:32 PM, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Чтв, 16/09/2010 в 16:24 +0200, Matti Bickel пишет:
>> - elibtoolize
>> + eautoreconf
>
> Hm, is this change necessary?

The obvious reason for eautoreconf here is:
fox_src_prepare() updates configure.{ac,in} and Makefile.am's just before.

The non-obvious reason is:
Ebuilds may have to patch these files too for random (usually prefix) platforms.

Iff not eautoreconf but elibtoolize were done here, the ebuild would have to do the
eautoreconf itself, which doesn't work right now[1] when elibtoolize was called before.

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232820

/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org