Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Doug Klima

Default Kerberos Maintainence

Hello all,

Currently our Heimdal packages and MIT-KRB5 packages are woefully out of
date. I know Seemant tried for a while and I have been trying to recruit
maintainers for these packages but completely unsuccessfully. So I turn
to the mailing list to hopefully recruit someone. I don't use Heimdal
enough to become the maintainer for it but I do have a bunch of user
contributed work (he's not interested in becoming a maintainer) that I
have reviewed partially that could be a start for any future maintainer.
Also, if you're not currently a Gentoo developer, I'll happily be your
mentor and help you become an official developer.

Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer. Preferably 2
since Heimdal and MIT are different.

Let me know if you're interested.

--
Doug Klima
Gentoo Developer

Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Tiziano Müller

Doug Klima wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently our Heimdal packages and MIT-KRB5 packages are woefully out of
> date. I know Seemant tried for a while and I have been trying to recruit
> maintainers for these packages but completely unsuccessfully. So I turn
> to the mailing list to hopefully recruit someone. I don't use Heimdal
> enough to become the maintainer for it but I do have a bunch of user
> contributed work (he's not interested in becoming a maintainer) that I
> have reviewed partially that could be a start for any future maintainer.
> Also, if you're not currently a Gentoo developer, I'll happily be your
> mentor and help you become an official developer.
>
> Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer. Preferably 2
> since Heimdal and MIT are different.
I already started with testing heimdal-1.0.2RC6 with the patchset in the bug
and I plan to commit it once it's ready. But I'm not sure how much time I
can put into it since I have other package/herds/projects which need some
love. But I'll do my best...

Cheers,
Tiziano

Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen

On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
[snip]

> Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer. Preferably 2
> since Heimdal and MIT are different.
Did we get any maintainers for these packages? metadata/herds is still empty.

If we don't get any maintainers I think we should consider Gentoo Kerberos for
the future.

--
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
Gentoo Linux Security Team

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Dawid Węgliński

Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen pisze:

On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
[snip]

Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer. Preferably 2
since Heimdal and MIT are different.

Did we get any maintainers for these packages? metadata/herds is still empty.

If we don't get any maintainers I think we should consider Gentoo Kerberos for
the future.

As far as i know, Opfer knows someone who will take it.

Cheers
--
Dawid Węgliński

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
"Paul B. Henson"

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:

> On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer. Preferably 2
> > since Heimdal and MIT are different.
> Did we get any maintainers for these packages? metadata/herds is still empty.
>
> If we don't get any maintainers I think we should consider Gentoo
> Kerberos for the future.

One of my staff members is currently being mentored to become a developer,
he is going to offer to maintain MIT Kerberos once he's done. We're running
Kerberos on Gentoo here and it's rather important to us. I'm not sure of
the current state of his mentorship, but he did just have his first baby
Monday so it's probably not the top thing on his mind ...

--
Paul B. Henson | (909) 979-6361 | http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst | henson@csupomona.edu

Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

"Paul B. Henson" <henson@acm.org>:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
> > On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Short version, we need a Heimdal and MIT-KRB5 maintainer.
> > > Preferably 2 since Heimdal and MIT are different.
> > Did we get any maintainers for these packages? metadata/herds is
> > still empty.
> > If we don't get any maintainers I think we should consider Gentoo
> > Kerberos for the future.
> One of my staff members is currently being mentored to become a
> developer, he is going to offer to maintain MIT Kerberos once he's
> done. We're running Kerberos on Gentoo here and it's rather important
> to us. I'm not sure of the current state of his mentorship, but he
> did just have his first baby Monday so it's probably not the top
> thing on his mind ...

If it is Heath, then I am on it to mentor him. He gave me some
progress reports and told me he was a bit busy...ok, then
congratulations to him for the next Gentoo developer hopefully.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>

Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen

Hi Paul,

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
> > On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
[snip]
> One of my staff members is currently being mentored to become a developer,
> he is going to offer to maintain MIT Kerberos once he's done. We're running
> Kerberos on Gentoo here and it's rather important to us. I'm not sure of
> the current state of his mentorship, but he did just have his first baby
> Monday so it's probably not the top thing on his mind ...
Congratulations that sounds excellent!

Do we have any rough ETA of when we have a maintainer?

--
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
Gentoo Linux Security Team

Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@gentoo.org>:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
> > > On Monday 10 December 2007 15:41:47 Doug Klima wrote:
> [snip]
> > One of my staff members is currently being mentored to become a
> > developer, he is going to offer to maintain MIT Kerberos once he's
> > done. We're running Kerberos on Gentoo here and it's rather
> > important to us. I'm not sure of the current state of his
> > mentorship, but he did just have his first baby Monday so it's
> > probably not the top thing on his mind ...
> Do we have any rough ETA of when we have a maintainer?

When Heath is finished, he hasn't committed his ebuild quiz yet, so
there is no bug open to follow. Unfortunately he will be limited in
time the next weeks I fear.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>

Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Duncan

Christian Faulhammer <opfer@gentoo.org> posted
20080214075828.713c9142@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 14 Feb 2008
07:58:28 +0100:

> Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@gentoo.org>:
>> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Paul B. Henson wrote:

>> > he did just have his first baby Monday so it's probably not
>> > the top thing on his mind ...
>> Do we have any rough ETA of when we have a maintainer?
>
> When Heath is finished, he hasn't committed his ebuild quiz yet, so
> there is no bug open to follow. Unfortunately he will be limited in
> time the next weeks I fear.

Of course, for such an event, "unfortunately" is a matter of perspective.
=8^) Best wishes for the family and the baby, regardless of whether
Gentoo ultimately gets a dev or not. Of course, we hope both dad and
ultimately kid will be Gentoo devs, but let's remember what's important,
here. =8^)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
"Heath N. Caldwell"

On 2008-02-14 07:58, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@gentoo.org>:
> > [snip]
> > > One of my staff members is currently being mentored to become a
> > > developer, he is going to offer to maintain MIT Kerberos once he's
> > > done. We're running Kerberos on Gentoo here and it's rather
> > > important to us. I'm not sure of the current state of his
> > > mentorship, but he did just have his first baby Monday so it's
> > > probably not the top thing on his mind ...
> > Do we have any rough ETA of when we have a maintainer?
>
> When Heath is finished, he hasn't committed his ebuild quiz yet, so
> there is no bug open to follow. Unfortunately he will be limited in
> time the next weeks I fear.

I am now back from my parental leave. Sorry for falling completely out
of communication but Paul was right in that being with my wife and new
son were what was on the top of my mind.

Now that I am back at work, I can start working on the quiz again. I
only have a few questions left, but I also have a bunch of catching up
to do on email and what not.

--
Heath Caldwell - hncaldwell@csupomona.edu
Operating Systems Analyst - California State Polytechnic University, Pomona