-   -   Handling branch strings (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/16150-handling-branch-strings.html)

Donnie Berkholz 12-10-2007 08:21 AM

Handling branch strings

On 00:26 Mon 10 Dec , Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> What I've got for my Xorg testing setup, is foo-9999-rX, with a number
> of different -X values that I just select from via package.{un,}mask
> while testing - this saves altering everything else in the tree to pick
> some package that has a different name just to satisfy a branch (which
> also requires lots of ${MY_PN} mockery for some packages.
> You'd also need to put '!cat/pn-feat' in the base cat/pn package and
> vice-versa.

While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to me
that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps and
SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that would
display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.

Thanks,
Donnie

"Santiago M. Mola" 12-10-2007 08:34 AM

Handling branch strings

On Dec 10, 2007 10:21 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 00:26 Mon 10 Dec , Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > What I've got for my Xorg testing setup, is foo-9999-rX, with a number
> > of different -X values that I just select from via package.{un,}mask
> > while testing - this saves altering everything else in the tree to pick
> > some package that has a different name just to satisfy a branch (which
> > also requires lots of ${MY_PN} mockery for some packages.
> > You'd also need to put '!cat/pn-feat' in the base cat/pn package and
> > vice-versa.
>
> While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to me
> that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps and
> SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that would
> display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.

Too tricky. It would confuse package managers and would break the
meaning of SLOT. An use expanded SCM_BRANCH combined with use
dependencies makes more sense and, hopefully, would be something
manageable.

Regards,
Santiago

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com

Donnie Berkholz 12-10-2007 06:42 PM

Handling branch strings

On 10:34 Mon 10 Dec , Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 10:21 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On 00:26 Mon 10 Dec , Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > > What I've got for my Xorg testing setup, is foo-9999-rX, with a number
> > > of different -X values that I just select from via package.{un,}mask
> > > while testing - this saves altering everything else in the tree to pick
> > > some package that has a different name just to satisfy a branch (which
> > > also requires lots of ${MY_PN} mockery for some packages.
> > > You'd also need to put '!cat/pn-feat' in the base cat/pn package and
> > > vice-versa.
> >
> > While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to me
> > that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps and
> > SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that would
> > display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.
> >

> Too tricky. It would confuse package managers and would break the
> meaning of SLOT. An use expanded SCM_BRANCH combined with use
> dependencies makes more sense and, hopefully, would be something
> manageable.

You've made these assertions about confusion and breakage, and I would
like to understand the reasoning behind them. I don't understand how it
would be different than any other SLOT, because they're already a
string. USE_EXPAND doesn't allow for the possibility of multiple SLOTs
installed at once, which is a feature I would like.

Thanks,
Donnie

Ryan Hill 12-11-2007 12:35 AM

Handling branch strings

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to me
that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps and
SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that would
display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.

Too tricky. It would confuse package managers and would break the
meaning of SLOT. An use expanded SCM_BRANCH combined with use
dependencies makes more sense and, hopefully, would be something
manageable.

You've made these assertions about confusion and breakage, and I would
like to understand the reasoning behind them. I don't understand how it
would be different than any other SLOT, because they're already a
string. USE_EXPAND doesn't allow for the possibility of multiple SLOTs
installed at once, which is a feature I would like.

Right, can't you just suffix the SLOT name? My gcc svn builds just
do SLOT="${GCC_BRANCH_VER}-svn". This could be a special case though
since a gcc install is pretty carefully separated from its other SLOTs.

--
looks like christmas at fifty-five degrees
this latitude weakens my knees

Ciaran McCreesh 12-11-2007 07:11 AM

Handling branch strings

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:42:38 -0800
Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> You've made these assertions about confusion and breakage, and I
> would like to understand the reasoning behind them. I don't
> understand how it would be different than any other SLOT, because
> they're already a string. USE_EXPAND doesn't allow for the
> possibility of multiple SLOTs installed at once, which is a feature I
> would like.

Conceptually a branch is not a slot (nor is it a version). Reusing an
existing package manager concept for a second, unrelated concept leads
to excessively complicated handling rules and a general nasty mess.

If there's desire for the package manager to be aware of branches, it
should be a separate proposal using a concept specifically designed
for that purpose. Branches exist without SCM, and SCM exists without
branches, and neither have anything to do with slots or use flags.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

"Santiago M. Mola" 12-11-2007 10:46 AM

Handling branch strings

On Dec 11, 2007 9:11 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:42:38 -0800
> Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > You've made these assertions about confusion and breakage, and I
> > would like to understand the reasoning behind them.
> > [...]

For my reasoning... just read Ciaran's reply ;-)

Christian Faulhammer 12-11-2007 04:56 PM

Handling branch strings

Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>:

> While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to
> me that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps
> and SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that
> would display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.

$ grep SLOT= *.ebuild
emacs-18.59-r4.ebuild:SLOT="18"
emacs-21.4-r14.ebuild:SLOT="21"
emacs-22.1-r3.ebuild:SLOT="22"

$ grep SLOT= *.ebuild
emacs-cvs-22.1.50-r2.ebuild:SLOT="22"
emacs-cvs-23.0.50-r1.ebuild:SLOT="23"
emacs-cvs-23.0.60-r1.ebuild:SLOT="23-unicode"

That's how we solved it for GNU Emacs...but we had to tackle file
collisions for a while, but now you can have all versions side by
side. Branches are easily distinguished by version numbers in
upstream's repository, but Emacs may be a special case.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>