Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Peter Volkov

Default EAPI-2 do* functions die

В Пнд, 08/09/2008 в 23:34 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto пишет:
> So we're talking about adding the following to EAPI-2:

While it's not too late. Can we make dobin, doman and other do*
functions finally die in EAPI=2? I've reviewed discussions on -dev
[1],[2] and bug 138792 [3] and seems that the only possible stopper is
that implementing them as functions makes impossible to use them with
xargs. Maybe for such rather rare case we should create new functions
(xdo{bin,*} or whatever name is better)?

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/40437
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/56443
[3] bugs.gentoo.org/138792

--
Peter.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:45:52 +0400
Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org> wrote:
> В Пнд, 08/09/2008 в 23:34 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto пишет:
> > So we're talking about adding the following to EAPI-2:
>
> While it's not too late. Can we make dobin, doman and other do*
> functions finally die in EAPI=2? I've reviewed discussions on -dev
> [1],[2] and bug 138792 [3] and seems that the only possible stopper is
> that implementing them as functions makes impossible to use them with
> xargs. Maybe for such rather rare case we should create new functions
> (xdo{bin,*} or whatever name is better)?

I'd suggest holding off on that one. There're at least three different
ways of implementing it, all with different implications, and it needs
proper discussion.

* Using traps looks nice on the surface, but in practice they're
sufficiently weird on things like conditionals that they're probably not
a useful solution.

* Banning xargs and doing them as functions is a possibility, but far
from ideal, especially since it's just working around a Portage
limitation.

* Making Portage support subprocess dies is the nice solution, but this
probably isn't an EAPI 2 timeframe feature.

In addition, having nonfatal versions of commands is also useful in
practice. Exheres has a 'nonfatal' command, so you can do 'nonfatal
dodoc foo bar baz'. This also needs discussing before deciding upon a
spec.

--
Ciaran McCreesh