Old 07-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Donnie Berkholz

Default new eclass and portage category: octave-forge.eclass and dev-octave

On 13:57 Thu 10 Jul , Markus Dittrich wrote:
> The sci herd would like to propose the addition of a new
> octave-forge.eclass as well as a new portage category dev-octave to
> house new octave-forge ebuilds.

If the ebuilds are truly simple templates (as they appeared from a quick
glance), perhaps a script more like g-cpan or g-pypi would be merited
instead of large numbers of trivial ebuilds?

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Markus Dittrich

Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> writes:
> <large snip>
> > [3] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/science/browser/overlay/eclass/octave-forge.eclass
>
> You may want to look into making it eclass-manpages ready.

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you very much for pointing this out to me and I will
definitely look into it.

Best,
Markus

Markus Dittrich (markusle)
Gentoo Linux Developer
Scientific applications

Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Markus Dittrich

Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> writes:
> On 13:57 Thu 10 Jul , Markus Dittrich wrote:
> > The sci herd would like to propose the addition of a new
> > octave-forge.eclass as well as a new portage category dev-octave to
> > house new octave-forge ebuilds.
>
> If the ebuilds are truly simple templates (as they appeared from a quick
> glance), perhaps a script more like g-cpan or g-pypi would be merited
> instead of large numbers of trivial ebuilds?

Hi Donnie,

Thank you very much for your comments. The octave-forge.eclass
turned out to be much more effective than I initially anticipated
and the individual octave-forge ebuilds are now indeed mostly
simple templates. I will have to have a closer look at g-cpan to see
if we'd be able to fit the octave-forge ebuilds into such a framework.
If so, this may be the way to go and would avoid cluttering
the portage tree unnecessarily.

Best,
Markus

Markus Dittrich (markusle)