Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Josh Saddler

Default Tags vs. categories (was: sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scip)

Alec Warner wrote:

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@gentoo.org> wrote:

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.

Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
the category idea from fbsd ports.

It is pointless because we should probably have tags; not categories.
It is akin to the Section[1] header in a debian control file.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections

Tags instead of categories . . . Now here's a very interesting idea,
indeed. Has there ever been a proposal like this for Gentoo?

I think we could improve on the Debian way of doing (sub)sections And I
think that a good system of tags would do better than most distros
which have a fairly limited set of arbitrary categories (like desktop,
system, utils; who knows what the heck those last two mean, anyway?) But
blog-style multiple tags might be very, very nice, if we could agree on
a set of tags to use, without trapping ourselves into some of the
weirder categorization used by other distros, like Slackware's arcane
alphabetic system.

Tags . . . I like the idea. I like it a lot. Thoughts? Exciting? Or is
it an old issue, and I'm 5 years late to the party.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM
"Santiago M. Mola"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Josh Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Tags instead of categories . . . Now here's a very interesting idea, indeed.
> Has there ever been a proposal like this for Gentoo?
>

> Tags . . . I like the idea. I like it a lot. Thoughts? Exciting? Or is it an
> old issue, and I'm 5 years late to the party.

Exherbo will change its category system at some point. There has been
some discussion about it which may be interesting for people thinking
about possible replacements in Gentoo:
http://lists.exherbo.org/pipermail/exherbo-dev/2008-May/000149.html

There was similar discussions in @g-dev but I'm too lazy to start
serching the relevant threads.

Best regards,
--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 AM
"Alec Warner"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Josh Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Alec Warner wrote:

>>> Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
>>> it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
>>> the category idea from fbsd ports.
>>
>> It is pointless because we should probably have tags; not categories.
>> It is akin to the Section[1] header in a debian control file.
>>
>> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
>
> Tags instead of categories . . . Now here's a very interesting idea, indeed.
> Has there ever been a proposal like this for Gentoo?

many times.

> I think we could improve on the Debian way of doing (sub)sections And I
> think that a good system of tags would do better than most distros which
> have a fairly limited set of arbitrary categories (like desktop, system,
> utils; who knows what the heck those last two mean, anyway?) But blog-style
> multiple tags might be very, very nice, if we could agree on a set of tags
> to use, without trapping ourselves into some of the weirder categorization
> used by other distros, like Slackware's arcane alphabetic system.
>
> Tags . . . I like the idea. I like it a lot. Thoughts? Exciting? Or is it an
> old issue, and I'm 5 years late to the party.

Probably more than 5...

-Alec