Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Andrey Grozin

Default sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scipy ?

Hello *,

Wouldn't it be nice to move scipy from sci-libs to dev-python? All similar
and related packages live in dev-python: numeric, scientificpython,
matplotlib... I know that moving packages is a major pain in the #$$, but
the present situation seems illogical (I would never guess to search for
this package in sci-libs if I didn't know it's there).

Andrey

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 02:59 Tue 08 Jul , Andrey Grozin wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice to move scipy from sci-libs to dev-python? All
> similar and related packages live in dev-python: numeric,
> scientificpython, matplotlib... I know that moving packages is a major
> pain in the #$$, but the present situation seems illogical (I would never
> guess to search for this package in sci-libs if I didn't know it's
> there).

Why would you be searching by looking in categories anyway? There are
tons of dedicated search tools.

I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Joe Peterson

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
> categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
> in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
> moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.

Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
the category idea from fbsd ports.

Since we have categories (and assuming we'll keep them), I think that
things should be categorized as correctly as possible (perhaps it's not
the highest priority, but better to have it right than not, eventually).

If it is better to have scipy in sci-libs rather dev-python, then
perhaps other dev-python packages (like you said) should be moved
elsewhere to be consistent. A quick look at the fbsd ports shows that
scipy is in "science" and numpy is in "math" (for example), so that
agrees with your feeling that neither belong in dev-python.

-Joe

Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 21:51 Mon 07 Jul , Joe Peterson wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
> > categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
> > in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
> > moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.
>
> Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
> it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
> the category idea from fbsd ports.

I meant moves were largely pointless, although categories are to a
lesser extent. Tags would be a lot better, since nothing can be
categorized perfectly into a single place.

> Since we have categories (and assuming we'll keep them), I think that
> things should be categorized as correctly as possible (perhaps it's not
> the highest priority, but better to have it right than not, eventually).

I don't think it's worth losing track of the CVS history just so we can
have something in a different place that ultimately is hardly useful to
anyone.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Andrey Grozin