Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default metadata improvements

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> And this is where the second GLEP comes in:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-xsd.html
Don't remove the DTD DOCTYPE line. Leave it there.
Let simple tools be able to use the DTD to validate the well-formedness,
then upgrade to the XSD to check the actual semantics of the file.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy

Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
do we still need <herd> elements?

2. "<gentoo:dev>dev-zero</gentoo:dev>". That's not possible to validate
sanely. The following would be better:

With the default value of the 'project' attribute being 'gentoo'.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Tiziano Müller

Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
>> One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
> do we still need <herd> elements?

I'd see the herd element as kind of tag which could be used to search for
packages (given the corresponding tools).

> 2. "<gentoo:dev>dev-zero</gentoo:dev>". That's not possible to validate
> sanely. The following would be better:
>
> With the default value of the 'project' attribute being 'gentoo'.

That's another good solution. The possibility I mentioned is rather suitable
for others wanting to extend our metadata.xml format (and still be able to
validate the content of gentoo:dev against our list of devs).

Old 07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Tiziano Müller

Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
>> And this is where the second GLEP comes in:
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-xsd.html
> Don't remove the DTD DOCTYPE line. Leave it there.
> Let simple tools be able to use the DTD to validate the well-formedness,
> then upgrade to the XSD to check the actual semantics of the file.

Very good point, thanks. But the changes of GLEP 46 can't be validated
without allowing the "status" attribute for the toplevel maintainer. But I
guess we could do it as long as it's documented (and commented) correctly.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:03:10PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> >> And this is where the second GLEP comes in:
> >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-xsd.html
> > Don't remove the DTD DOCTYPE line. Leave it there.
> > Let simple tools be able to use the DTD to validate the well-formedness,
> > then upgrade to the XSD to check the actual semantics of the file.
> Very good point, thanks. But the changes of GLEP 46 can't be validated
> without allowing the "status" attribute for the toplevel maintainer. But I
> guess we could do it as long as it's documented (and commented) correctly.
Sure. In other places where DTD->XSD migrations have been done, there
ARE still changes made to the DTD for new elements/attributes etc.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:58:21PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
> >> One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':
> >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
> > do we still need <herd> elements?
> I'd see the herd element as kind of tag which could be used to search for
> packages (given the corresponding tools).
Clarify the GLEP to mention this please?

> > 2. "<gentoo:dev>dev-zero</gentoo:dev>". That's not possible to validate
> > sanely. The following would be better:
> >
> > With the default value of the 'project' attribute being 'gentoo'.
> That's another good solution. The possibility I mentioned is rather suitable
> for others wanting to extend our metadata.xml format (and still be able to
> validate the content of gentoo:dev against our list of devs).
'gentoo:dev' isn't directly validable. It states element 'dev' in the
XML namespace of 'gentoo'. That's why I think that the the project
attribute variation would be more suitable, and also really easy for
other projects to handle.

When they are adding their own metadata.xml files, they can use an XSL
transform to add the explicit "project='gentoo'" for their own
metadata.xml files.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Rémi Cardona

Robin H. Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:

One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html

do we still need<herd> elements?

The Gnome Team has 3 herds : gnome, gnome-mm and gnome-office. While
officially we (us gnomies) are all maintainers of all 3 herds, having 3
herds makes for better housekeeping.

And who knows, we could add one or two more herds once this GLEP is
approved.

Cheers,

Rémi

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Tiziano Müller

Robin H. Johnson wrote:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
>> > do we still need <herd> elements?
>> I'd see the herd element as kind of tag which could be used to search for
>> packages (given the corresponding tools).
> Clarify the GLEP to mention this please?
Sure, will do.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Tiziano Müller

Rémi Cardona wrote:

> Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:22:02PM +0200, Tiziano M?ller wrote:
>>> One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
>> do we still need<herd> elements?
>
> The Gnome Team has 3 herds : gnome, gnome-mm and gnome-office. While
> officially we (us gnomies) are all maintainers of all 3 herds, having 3
> herds makes for better housekeeping.
>
> And who knows, we could add one or two more herds once this GLEP is
> approved.

Well, I'd like to point out that this GLEP does not propose any changes to
how herds and teams should be organized.
For that I've written this:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-team.html

In the current metastructure you (the gnomies) don't form one team which
maintains the packages in the 3 herds gnome{,-mm,-office} but it's rather 3
teams (implicitly defined by the corresponding herds).
I know this sounds really nitpicking.

Now, to get the things done we have two possibilities:
i) do the changes to metadata.xml, herds.xml and create teams.xml (if the
council approves the GLEP once completed) and then adjust our metastructure
to what the XML schemas (DTD or XSD) describe
or
ii) change our metastructure to allow teams to be explicitly defined and
describe the relationship between devs, teams, herds and projects properly
and then change the XML schemas to match the organizational structure.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Le samedi 05 juillet 2008 ŕ 10:01 +0200, Rémi Cardona a écrit :
> The Gnome Team has 3 herds : gnome, gnome-mm and gnome-office. While
> officially we (us gnomies) are all maintainers of all 3 herds, having 3
> herds makes for better housekeeping.

you forgot gnome-accessibility

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>