Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Tiziano Müller

Default metadata improvements

Hi everyone

Since people are talking about metadata.xml again I'd like to present two
more GLEPs which will ease the process of auto-assigning bugs on one side
and make it a bit safer on the other side. Both of them are still in draft
state and if someone would like to contribute I'd be really happy.

One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html

The idea is to reduce some of the redundency we have in the tree and to
explicitly write who the maintainer is. It logically depends on my former
GLEP about Gentoo's herd/team metastructure, but doesn't depend on it in a
technical sense.
Furthermore it makes it possible to define maintainer-proxy relationships.

It would make the auto-assignment process based on metadata.xml safer since
it makes it possible to validate the maintainer.
And this is where the second GLEP comes in:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-xsd.html

In this GLEP I propose to switch from DTD to XSD for metadata.xml (and
herd.xml) to be able to validate content.
Even though some people like to argue that content should not be validated,
it makes sense to do it since the metadata.xml are not "prosa" but can be
interpreted as kind of database entries. Another reason is that
parent-child constraints can't be validated using DTD (especially GLEP 46
can't be properly implemented using DTD). But that's all written in the
GLEP...

What do you think of them?

Cheers,
Tiziano