FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Mart Raudsepp
 
Default RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal

On T, 2008-07-01 at 11:33 +0200, Rmi Cardona wrote:
> Duncan a crit :
> > Probably others than GNOME, too.
>
> Thus Mart's effort to bring it to gentoo-dev

And for constructive discussing of it, including with releng and other
teams.

> > This is the ticklish bit, but there's still a way around it for users
> > (such as those trying to fit GNOME on a liveCD) that need it. Useing
> > portage's bashrc, setup a conditional that excepts packages that need
> > static libs and set INSTALL_MASK='*.a' for everything else.
>
> No, it was pointed out that this cannot be done for LiveCD material, as
> the packages would have a different content as a regular install. So
> this is just out of the question.
>
> For those wondering : "find /usr/lib64 -name "*.a" | xargs du -ch" will
> tell you how much disk space is wasted by static libraries.
>
> On my Gnome box, this is 246M. I know we won't be able to bring this to
> 0, but having it closer to 10~20M is a very worthy goal imho.

In addition I'm looking for a clean solution, not every Gentoo user
having to have a INSTALL_MASK set with a few exceptions that they don't
know; and if they don't know what are the exceptions, they'll have
trivial problems like bash not working, iirc.

Btw, just to be clear, I'm not claiming this is the sole reason GNOME
doesn't fit on LiveCD's anymore, but it is a big contributor for that.


--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer
Mail: leio@gentoo.org
Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio
 
Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Peter Volkov
 
Default RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal

В Втр, 01/07/2008 в 05:05 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
> Over a year or two ago, it was communicated that it supposedly a policy
> that USE=static

Well, I don't have web-reference at hand now, but there was a thread in
gentoo-dev with the subject: "Say no to static libraries!". Summarizing
some ideas from there:

1. Some packages will break if you build their deps with USE=static.
This can be fixed when we start to use USE-deps in the tree.

2. We already have mechanism to make what you want. Just drop
EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" into your make.conf and to workaround
problem stated in point 1 use

EXTRA_ECONF="${EXTRA_ECONF/--disable-static}"

in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg. (For those who interested list of packages
for which I have to filter --disable-static is in attachment).


Well, I'm using EXTRA_ECONF for more then year now and I'd like to say
that it's not perfect solution. Not all packages are autotools based and
ignore --disable-static and now I have 103M of static libs on my
desktop. So now I'm all for having static-libs USE flag. But please,
don't do that on per-package base. Make an eclass for that. Think about
not-autotools packages, and don't put it in the tree until we start
using USE deps.


Thanks for reiterating this discussion. I wanted to return to it soon as
seems that USE deps are really about to enter our life.

And BTW, seems that all gnome packages obey EXTRA_ECONF

--
Peter.
dev-libs/popt
dev-libs/lzo
dev-libs/libpcre
dev-libs/xmlrpc-c
dev-libs/libol
media-libs/pdflib
media-sound/audacity
sys-devel/gdb
sys-devel/libtool
sys-apps/ed
sys-apps/ed
sys-fs/fuse
dev-ruby/rcairo
dev-ruby/rcairo
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Mart Raudsepp
 
Default RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 15:40 +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Втр, 01/07/2008 в 05:05 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
> > Over a year or two ago, it was communicated that it supposedly a policy
> > that USE=static
>
> Well, I don't have web-reference at hand now, but there was a thread in
> gentoo-dev with the subject: "Say no to static libraries!". Summarizing
> some ideas from there:
>
> 1. Some packages will break if you build their deps with USE=static.
> This can be fixed when we start to use USE-deps in the tree.
>
> 2. We already have mechanism to make what you want. Just drop
> EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" into your make.conf and to workaround
> problem stated in point 1 use
>
> EXTRA_ECONF="${EXTRA_ECONF/--disable-static}"
>
> in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg. (For those who interested list of packages
> for which I have to filter --disable-static is in attachment).

I'm going to simply drop the remaining USE=static's where appropriate,
if upstreams choice is to disable static libraries, and we'll see even
later what to do about those that don't default to not building static
libraries. For now I stumbled on just gtk-engines.

That is, some GNOME packages make it their own business to override the
automake default of building both - they call AM_DISABLE_STATIC.
So for those I'll just drop any --{enable,disable}-static (as I notice)
and honor upstreams choice in not building static libraries. This also
means nothing uses or needs the static libraries because all GNOME
tinderboxes and jhbuild based development machines would scream in agony
if it broke anything.

> Well, I'm using EXTRA_ECONF for more then year now and I'd like to say
> that it's not perfect solution. Not all packages are autotools based and
> ignore --disable-static and now I have 103M of static libs on my
> desktop. So now I'm all for having static-libs USE flag. But please,
> don't do that on per-package base. Make an eclass for that. Think about
> not-autotools packages, and don't put it in the tree until we start
> using USE deps.

I know of absolutely no GNOME package that needs its static libraries
installed. Only exception is glib, but that is a lower level library,
not a GNOME one - there we explicitly enable it for syslog-ng possible
use primarily. And for glib I'm quite cool in enabling it always, as my
take on glib is that it's a standard C library that makes C actually
usable and powerful, just as libstdc++ makes C++ more powerful, and
should be universally available to all. Though an alternative would be
to install it in /lib, so that boot tools can use it and not need to
link statically - having syslog-ng in mind primarily.

> Thanks for reiterating this discussion. I wanted to return to it soon as
> seems that USE deps are really about to enter our life.

And now I'm reiterating it again the first time since 3 months.

> And BTW, seems that all gnome packages obey EXTRA_ECONF

And probably G2CONF too, but we like to use that for ebuild use only -
we aren't sure we have G2CONF="${G2CONF} foo" everywhere, etc.


--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer
Mail: leio@gentoo.org
Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org