Old 06-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Multislot dependencies

<big_snip>

Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o

I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...

cu

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 19:01 +0200, Enrico Weigelt a écrit :
> <big_snip>
>
> Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o
>
> I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...

no, this is not the proper solution. Just consider how bad gtk/gtk2
useflag was and that was with only 1 package with 2 slots. Now think
about say db (berkeleydb) or gtkhtml (and I'm still probably overlooking
the most important point).
--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo

Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Tiziano Müller

Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:

> Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 19:01 +0200, Enrico Weigelt a écrit :
>> <big_snip>
>>
>> Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o
>>
>> I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...
>
> no, this is not the proper solution. Just consider how bad gtk/gtk2
> useflag was and that was with only 1 package with 2 slots. Now think
> about say db (berkeleydb) or gtkhtml (and I'm still probably overlooking
> the most important point).
Hehe, that'd be "funny".

With python it already gets messy:

RDEPEND="python2.4? ( !python2.5 ( !python2.6? ( dev-lang/python:2.4 )
python2.6? ( dev-lang/python:2.6 ) ) python2.5? ( !python2.6? (
dev-lang/python:2.5 ) python2.6? ( dev-lang/python:2.6) ) ) python2.6? (
dev-lang/python:2.6 )

or something like that...

Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> schrieb:
> Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 19:01 +0200, Enrico Weigelt a écrit :
> > <big_snip>
> >
> > Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o
> >
> > I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...
>
> no, this is not the proper solution. Just consider how bad gtk/gtk2
> useflag was and that was with only 1 package with 2 slots.

Well, some of you might still remember what I said about gtk and
slots long time ago. Just to summarize my point:

* the use of slots should be MINIMIZED. IMHO, the kernel is one
of the few valid uses, gtk is NOT (1.* and 2.* are *different*
packages and so should be treated differently).

* at runtime an most packages need that variant/slot they were
built for (and gtk1'ed package needs gtk-1.x, NOT gtk-2.* and
vice versa)

* often the slots are just necessary because the upstream's
bad code design. IMHO, if a package doesn't have *clean*
dependency tree, it's simply not a package, but just a
bunch of code ;-P

> Now think about say db (berkeleydb) or gtkhtml (and I'm still
> probably overlooking the most important point).

What's exactly the problem with that packages ?

BTW: maybe many things would be easier, if portage itself could
differenciate between source and binary packages, but that might
be a too big step ;-o

cu

Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
"Santiago M. Mola"

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Well, some of you might still remember what I said about gtk and
> slots long time ago. Just to summarize my point:
>
> * the use of slots should be MINIMIZED. IMHO, the kernel is one
> of the few valid uses, gtk is NOT (1.* and 2.* are *different*
> packages and so should be treated differently).
>
> * at runtime an most packages need that variant/slot they were
> built for (and gtk1'ed package needs gtk-1.x, NOT gtk-2.* and
> vice versa)

This is not going to change. We already unified the gtk USE flag, we
have SLOT dependencies now, and, generally, prior discussion,
decisions and common practices shows that we're not going to follow
that path.

We are talking about multislot dependencies. At this point, your
arguments are noise. So, please, don't continue with these points in
this thread.

Thanks,
--
Santiago M. Mola