Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Steve Dibb

Default MP4 global use flag

Any objections to moving MP4 from a local to a global USE flag. For the
record, MP4 is a multimedia container to store multiple audio/video
formats in.

Currently we have 4 ebuilds using it, all for the same description.

Steve

Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Duncan

Steve Dibb <beandog@gentoo.org> posted 4862F948.5060003@gentoo.org,
excerpted below, on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:04:56 -0600:

> Any objections to moving MP4 from a local to a global USE flag. For the
> record, MP4 is a multimedia container to store multiple audio/video
> formats in.
>
> Currently we have 4 ebuilds using it, all for the same description.

Hasn't the suggested cut-over been five packages? At four, it's getting
close, but isn't there yet.

Now AFAIK that's a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Is there some
reason to override the guideline? Or are you suggesting the guideline
should be lowered to four or even three?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Josh Saddler

Steve Dibb wrote:
Any objections to moving MP4 from a local to a global USE flag. For the
record, MP4 is a multimedia container to store multiple audio/video
formats in.

Currently we have 4 ebuilds using it, all for the same description.

4 doesn't sound quite worthy of global, yet. However, there are
70-someodd packages that use "aac" -- and they all seem to be for mp4
audio in some form, more or less. Is it worthwhile to just s/mp4/aac, or
vice versa?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Steve Dibb

Josh Saddler wrote:

Steve Dibb wrote:
Any objections to moving MP4 from a local to a global USE flag. For
the record, MP4 is a multimedia container to store multiple
audio/video formats in.

Currently we have 4 ebuilds using it, all for the same description.

4 doesn't sound quite worthy of global, yet. However, there are
70-someodd packages that use "aac" -- and they all seem to be for mp4
audio in some form, more or less. Is it worthwhile to just s/mp4/aac, or
vice versa?

container != codec, it's a common misconception.

Steve