Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default Suggested default LDFLAGS+="-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common"

On 24-06-2008 14:15:10 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the following
> flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".
>
> -O1 enables some basic optimizations.
> --hash-style=gnu causes that ld creates only new GNU-style hash tables.
> --sort-common causes that ld sorts the common symbols by size when it places
> them in the appropriate output sections.
>
> These options don't cause any problems, so they should be less controversial
> than --as-needed.
> (These options don't conflict with --as-needed, so --as-needed can be still
> added to default LDFLAGS, but this thread isn't about --as-needed.)

as long as it doesn't go in /base, but in the linux/freebsd profiles
instead, it's fine with me.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 29-06-2008 07:29:57 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis kirjoitti:
> > > I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the
> > > following flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".
> > >
> > > -O1 enables some basic optimizations.
> >
> > At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
> > already suggesting this quite a while ago.
>
> imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base

I prefer not. Please only on profiles that use GNU binutils as linker.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 23:15 Sun 29 Jun , Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 29-06-2008 07:29:57 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
> > > already suggesting this quite a while ago.
> >
> > imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
>
> I prefer not. Please only on profiles that use GNU binutils as linker.

That's the rule, not the exception, so I think that profiles with
non-gnu linkers should revert it.

Thanks,
Donnie

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 29-06-2008 20:28:39 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 23:15 Sun 29 Jun , Fabian Groffen wrote:

> > > imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
> >
> > I prefer not. Please only on profiles that use GNU binutils as linker.
>
> That's the rule, not the exception, so I think that profiles with
> non-gnu linkers should revert it.

In the current world of gentoo-x86 it is the rule. But what will you do
once Sun Studio becomes open source, and you want to allow people that
like to have better performance to use it? What if Gentoo Prefix ever
gets merged back into gentoo-x86?

How can you easily revert it in a profile? Using strip-ldflags alike?
That feels nasty to me. If it is trivial to remove it again,
considering there may be more in LDFLAGS, then it is less of a problem
to me. Maybe there is such a way, and I just missed it.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 30-06-2008 17:35:08 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> > How can you easily revert it in a profile?
>
> You can set LDFLAGS="" in a subprofiles's make.defaults.

How elegant... but I guess I'll have no choice.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Michael Haubenwallner

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 14:10 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:42:49 +0300
> Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:

> > > imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
> > > -mike
> >
> > So seems like we should just do it (tm).
>
> Why not default/linux?

Just wanted to ask the same...

/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level

Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Luca Barbato

Fabian Groffen wrote:

How can you easily revert it in a profile?

You can set LDFLAGS="" in a subprofiles's make.defaults.

How elegant... but I guess I'll have no choice.

Shouldn't possible have a subprofile with compiler/linker specifics and
move there non sharable stuff and keep base leaner?

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member