Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
"Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis"

Default Suggested default LDFLAGS+="-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common"

I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the following
flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".

-O1 enables some basic optimizations.
--hash-style=gnu causes that ld creates only new GNU-style hash tables.
--sort-common causes that ld sorts the common symbols by size when it places
them in the appropriate output sections.

These options don't cause any problems, so they should be less controversial
than --as-needed.
(These options don't conflict with --as-needed, so --as-needed can be still
added to default LDFLAGS, but this thread isn't about --as-needed.)

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> writes:

> as long as it doesn't go in /base, but in the linux/freebsd profiles
> instead, it's fine with me.

--has-style=gnu should not be used on non-GLIBC systems (I'm unsure
about uclibc, but I'd be surprised if they do implement the GNU style
hash).

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 AM
Ryan Hill

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:17:48 +0200
Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 24-06-2008 14:15:10 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
> wrote:
> > I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the
> > following flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".
> >
> > -O1 enables some basic optimizations.
> > --hash-style=gnu causes that ld creates only new GNU-style hash
> > tables. --sort-common causes that ld sorts the common symbols by
> > size when it places them in the appropriate output sections.
> >
> > These options don't cause any problems, so they should be less
> > controversial than --as-needed.
> > (These options don't conflict with --as-needed, so --as-needed can
> > be still added to default LDFLAGS, but this thread isn't about
> > --as-needed.)
>
> as long as it doesn't go in /base, but in the linux/freebsd profiles
> instead, it's fine with me.

Ditto. mips doesn't have support for .gnu.hash.

Currently --hash-style=both is set in the binutils patchset, not
the profiles so it's kind of a global setting. Can the profiles
override it?

--
gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect

Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM
"Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis"

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:17:48 +0200
> Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 24-06-2008 14:15:10 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
>> wrote:
>> > I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the
>> > following flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".
>> >
>> > -O1 enables some basic optimizations.
>> > --hash-style=gnu causes that ld creates only new GNU-style hash
>> > tables. --sort-common causes that ld sorts the common symbols by
>> > size when it places them in the appropriate output sections.
>> >
>> > These options don't cause any problems, so they should be less
>> > controversial than --as-needed.
>> > (These options don't conflict with --as-needed, so --as-needed can
>> > be still added to default LDFLAGS, but this thread isn't about
>> > --as-needed.)
>>
>> as long as it doesn't go in /base, but in the linux/freebsd profiles
>> instead, it's fine with me.
>
> Ditto. mips doesn't have support for .gnu.hash.
>
> Currently --hash-style=both is set in the binutils patchset, not
> the profiles so it's kind of a global setting. Can the profiles
> override it?

AFAIK yes. You should be able to override it in make.defaults.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Petteri Räty

Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis kirjoitti:

I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the following
flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".

-O1 enables some basic optimizations.

At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
already suggesting this quite a while ago.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 06-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday 28 June 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis kirjoitti:
> > I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the
> > following flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".
> >
> > -O1 enables some basic optimizations.
>
> At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
> already suggesting this quite a while ago.

imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
-mike

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> writes:
> > as long as it doesn't go in /base, but in the linux/freebsd profiles
> > instead, it's fine with me.
>
> --has-style=gnu should not be used on non-GLIBC systems (I'm unsure
> about uclibc, but I'd be surprised if they do implement the GNU style
> hash).

why would you be surprised ? the GNU hash style addresses a lot of issues
with the SYSV one. uClibc (well not the version in the tree) contains
optional support for it.
-mike

Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM

2008-06-30 10:57:21 Fabian Groffen napisał(a):
> On 29-06-2008 20:28:39 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> > > I prefer not. Please only on profiles that use GNU binutils as linker.
> >
> > That's the rule, not the exception, so I think that profiles with
> > non-gnu linkers should revert it.
>
> In the current world of gentoo-x86 it is the rule. But what will you do
> once Sun Studio becomes open source, and you want to allow people that
> like to have better performance to use it? What if Gentoo Prefix ever
> gets merged back into gentoo-x86?
>
> How can you easily revert it in a profile?

You can set LDFLAGS="" in a subprofiles's make.defaults.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Petteri Räty

Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:

Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis kirjoitti:

I would like to suggest that default LDFLAGS in Gentoo contain the
following flags: "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common".

-O1 enables some basic optimizations.

At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
already suggesting this quite a while ago.

imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
-mike

So seems like we should just do it (tm).

Regards,
Petteri

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Ryan Hill

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:42:49 +0300
Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:

> >> At least adding -O1 should not be problematic. I think vapier was
> >> already suggesting this quite a while ago.
> >
> > imo -Wl,-O1 should go into base
> > -mike
>
> So seems like we should just do it (tm).

Why not default/linux?