-   -   "unrecognized option" warning (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/111021-unrecognized-option-warning.html)

Hanno Böck 06-21-2008 06:27 PM

"unrecognized option" warning

Hi,

I was pointed by a user that the gimp ebuilds configure run produces warnings
about unrecognized options.
Looks like this:
configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-hal, --without-wmf

A short grep over my portage logdir showed lots of these in various packages.
My suggestion would be that we add a QA warning to portage for every econf
call causing such a warning.

Probably there are mostly two reasons when such a warning occurs:
- The ebuild writer thinks there must be an option for en/disabling foo,
though adding use_enable/use_with foo, although it's autodetected. We have an
automagic dep.
- The option was there in previous versions, but got removed (i.e. is now
default / can't be built without foo any more).

Both cases should be fixed and may hide other bugs, though a QA warning would
be good.

Thoughts?

--
Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/