Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

Default extending existing EAPI semantics

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:46:39 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:33:41 -0700
> > Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Lay out how .006/.6 would work properly *per* eapi. As I clarified
> >> in my last email, the master would vary dependant on the eapi-
> >> which isn't valid unless you're retroactively overriding the
> >> versioning rules of an eapi.
> >
> > "Must be a superset" being wrong does not mean "entirely arbitrary
> > changes are OK" is right.
>
> You have actual usecases (eventually not thin air), which is your
> counterproposal that works for them?

Care to rephrase that in English? I'm not proposing anything, so I'm at
a loss as to what you're going on about here.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Brian Harring

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 06:51:46AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:46:39 +0200
> Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > >
> > > "Must be a superset" being wrong does not mean "entirely arbitrary
> > > changes are OK" is right.
> >
> > You have actual usecases (eventually not thin air), which is your
> > counterproposal that works for them?
>
> Care to rephrase that in English? I'm not proposing anything, so I'm at
> a loss as to what you're going on about here.

Being that you can't understand the problem you're commenting on, I'll
explain it for you.

While you can remove _p1, or _<random_suffix> you cannot change the
ordering of an existing version component. Simple example you should
grok, changing of 1_p1 such that it's <1.0 is not valid.

As I've indicated repeatedly in this thread, and y'all have missed,
you cannot change the semantics of the ordering. Sure, you could
remove a version component from usage- that said, you cannot change
it's ordering.

Further, you cannot change the ordering of an existing version- if
you can't understand why shifting 0.006 to equivalent to 0.6, then
frankly, this discussion need not continue.

Cheers.
~harring

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 04:15:35 -0700

Except that isn't what you said. What you said is:

> One thing I'll note is that the .ebuild-$EAPI approach isn't the end
> all fix to versioning extensions that y'all represent it as.
> Essentially, what .ebuild-$EAPI allows is additions to version
> comparison rules, no subtractions. Each new $EAPI *must* be a
> superset of previous $EAPIs.

Which is obviously untrue. Here's a perfectly consistent, perfectly
implementable (but probably not desirable) rule for versions for a
future EAPI that is not a strict subset, nor is it additions:

"Any package using EAPI 2 may not use any version component that uses
leading zeros. Any package manager supporting EAPI 2 must support scm."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Luca Barbato

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quote_mining

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
"Richard Brown"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

--
Richard Brown

Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
"Nirbheek Chauhan"

2008/6/11 Richard Brown <rbrown@exherbo.org>:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:58, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
>>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quote_mining
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

The following should effectively end this string of Wikipedia references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_attacks

Thank you, and have a nice day|night.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Peter Volkov

В Втр, 10/06/2008 в 21:10 -0700, Brian Harring пишет:
> So... someone other then ciaran have a comment?

>From ebuild developer point of view there is no difference if eapi is a
variable of a function call. If changing eapi to a function call makes
sourcing of ebuilds more sane, then it's good to have such change.

--
Peter.