Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Patrick Lauer

Default EAPI-2 - Let's get it started

Doug Goldstein wrote:
Let's try to aim to do an EAPI=2 sometime soonish since Portage now
has USE flag depends in version 2.2 which is looming on the horizon.
It'd be nice to hit the ground running with supporting these. I know
it'll be trivial for the Paludis and pkgcore guys to make this work
since they already support USE flag depends.

So... let's get the party started.

The question is then, what features do people want there?

I've seen a few things mentioned, but I presume there are two
restrictions -

1) feature needs to be reasonably useful to enough people
2) feature needs to be implementable in a short enough timeframe

So EAPI 2 is not "everything shiny", but a small iterative improvement
to EAPI 1.

Suggest features then and let's discuss!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
"Nirbheek Chauhan"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Patrick Lauer
<bugs@dev.gentooexperimental.org> wrote:
> So EAPI 2 is not "everything shiny", but a small iterative improvement to
> EAPI 1.
>
> Suggest features then and let's discuss!

For reference of existing ideas -- https://bugs.gentoo.org/174380 -- a
tracker for EAPI feature requests.

I personally like https://bugs.gentoo.org/197859 the most -- split out
src_configure from src_compile which will allow sane resuming of
compiles

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Doug Goldstein

Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Patrick Lauer
So EAPI 2 is not "everything shiny", but a small iterative improvement to
EAPI 1.

Suggest features then and let's discuss!

For reference of existing ideas -- https://bugs.gentoo.org/174380 -- a
tracker for EAPI feature requests.

I personally like https://bugs.gentoo.org/197859 the most -- split out
src_configure from src_compile which will allow sane resuming of
compiles

At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3 package
managers have implemented.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
"Richard Brown"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:39, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3 package
> managers have implemented.

I'm not sure that's a good idea, only two have implemented EAPI 1 so far.

--
Richard Brown

Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Patrick Lauer

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 16:54:49 Richard Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:39, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3 package
> > managers have implemented.
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea, only two have implemented EAPI 1 so far.

Yes, but noone cares about Paludis.

Now could you please do the rest of us a favour and keep the discussion
focussed on improving technical details instead of random insults at others?

Thanks ...

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
"Fernando J. Pereda"

At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3
package

managers have implemented.

I'm not sure that's a good idea, only two have implemented EAPI 1
so far.

Yes, but noone cares about Paludis.

Ah, Paludis does support EAPI-1 just fine. Thank you.

- ferdy

Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
"Fernando J. Pereda"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Patrick Lauer
So EAPI 2 is not "everything shiny", but a small iterative
improvement to

EAPI 1.

Suggest features then and let's discuss!

For reference of existing ideas -- https://bugs.gentoo.org/174380
-- a

tracker for EAPI feature requests.

I personally like https://bugs.gentoo.org/197859 the most -- split
out

src_configure from src_compile which will allow sane resuming of
compiles

At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3
package managers have implemented.

I'm not sure this intersection isn't empty :/

We might, however, only discuss features that all 3 package managers
can implement easily.

- ferdy

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
"Nirbheek Chauhan"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Fernando J. Pereda <ferdy@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2008, at 18:39, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>> At this point, we should really only discuss features that all 3 package
>> managers have implemented.
>
> I'm not sure this intersection isn't empty :/

How about we define this as EAPI=0? =)

Jokes aside, I agree with you. Features that all three package
managers have already implemented (release or beta) are quite
uninteresting. However, this will make for a more sane discussion, and
will _actually_ result in an EAPI=2 getting approved, say, in the next
Council meeting.

I say this is better than a feature-complete EAPI=2 that stays on hold
for a year because we can't collectively decide on it, results in
PM-specific overlays, loud bitching about how nothing ever gets done,
and results in overall wastage of energy.

> We might, however, only discuss features that all 3 package managers can
> implement easily.

I say this should be done in the context of EAPI=3 once we all agree
on what EAPI=2 should contain (let's take it slow

If we start discussing EAPI=3 *now*, we _might_ get it out 6 months later[1] ;p

1. Sorry, that's how open source usually works
--
~Nirbheek Chauhan