Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Doug Goldstein

Default GLEP 55 - The Long Thread

Since there's so many places to comment and I have no intention of
hitting all these areas, I'll just create a new thread.

There's a lot to be said about being stuck in the "grand design
mindset". I know many Gentoo, Portage, Exherbo, and Paludis developers
are clearly coming to that point in their programming careers based on
the comments on this thread and other threads. I would just like to
caution everyone that they really need to get past this plateau in their
programming careers and get on to the real mindset that matters in the
future. The "use case" mindset.

I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:51:39 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
> instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.

The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you clearly
didn't bother to read...

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Doug Goldstein

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:51:39 -0400
I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.

The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you clearly
didn't bother to read...

Concrete use cases instead of idealistic ones...

Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:43:55 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you
> > clearly didn't bother to read...
> >
> Concrete use cases instead of idealistic ones...

What, new global scope functions is insufficiently concrete?

New global scope functions to replace versionator with something on the
package manager side.

New global scope functions to allow per-cat/pkg eclasses.

Take your pick.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM
"Denis Dupeyron"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> There's a lot to be said about being stuck in the "grand design mindset". I
> know many Gentoo, Portage, Exherbo, and Paludis developers are clearly
> coming to that point in their programming careers based on the comments on
> this thread and other threads. I would just like to caution everyone that
> they really need to get past this plateau in their programming careers and
> get on to the real mindset that matters in the future. The "use case"
> mindset.

Georges Clemenceau once said : "War is too serious a matter to entrust
to military men". There surely is something to be said along these
lines about software design and programmers.

Denis.