Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

Default USE flag descriptions in metadata

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:42:24 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Here's a GLEP for the addition of USE flag descriptions to package
> metadata. It does not address any future ideas that others may have
> had or suggested. It merely gives developers the necessary "tools" to
> document their USE flag usage it better detail on a per package basis.

There should also be a way of referring to a use flag owned by either
this or another package. For example:

<flag name="foo">Enables support for fooing. Ignored unless <flagref
name="bar">plugin</flagref> support is enabled for this package and
<flagref restrict="app-misc/foo" name="bindings">bindings</flagref> is

But that's rather ugly... There's probably a nicer way of marking it up
using XML.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Steve Dibb

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:42:24 -0400
Here's a GLEP for the addition of USE flag descriptions to package
metadata. It does not address any future ideas that others may have
had or suggested. It merely gives developers the necessary "tools" to
document their USE flag usage it better detail on a per package basis.

There should also be a way of referring to a use flag owned by either
this or another package. For example:

<flag name="foo">Enables support for fooing. Ignored unless <flagref
name="bar">plugin</flagref> support is enabled for this package and
<flagref restrict="app-misc/foo" name="bindings">bindings</flagref> is

But that's rather ugly... There's probably a nicer way of marking it up
using XML.

What about just nesting them?

<flag name foo>
<flag name bar>Turns on hawt chicks</flag>
<flag name baz>Turns on welp</flag>
</flag>

Of course, you probably couldn't tell that just by looking at them, but
it's an idea.

Steve

Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 17:11 Fri 06 Jun , Marius Mauch wrote:
> It's not about "forcing" anyone to do something but giving people enough
> information on how to implement it _if they choose to do so_. With the
> current GLEP they'd have to make arbitrary decisions if e.g. a flag is
> defined in both use.local.desc and metadata.xml, or some people might
> think that it replaces use.local.desc completely.
> Really, all I'm looking for is something like
>
> "This proposal does not intend to replace the existing use.local.desc
> format. If a flag is defined for a package in both use.local.desc and
> metadata.xml the latter should be preferred by tools"
>
> Do you really consider that to be such a huge deal?

From a council perspective, I think that we should have GLEPs that
promote a certain solution as one that should be preferred and should
deprecate another. We need to take a stand on the best way to do things
and to have GLEPs that do the same, choosing the better direction to
motivate people to do things that way. If that stand turns out to be
wrong after people have spent some time doing the work, we can revert
the GLEP and unapprove it.

Thanks,
Donnie

Old 06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Petteri Räty

Doug Goldstein kirjoitti:

All,

Here's a GLEP for the addition of USE flag descriptions to package
metadata. It does not address any future ideas that others may have had
or suggested. It merely gives developers the necessary "tools" to
document their USE flag usage it better detail on a per package basis.

An clearly motivation explanation that I didn't add, which I'm going to
add once I send this is the fact that as per the QA Project,
use.local.desc can not contain a USE flag that already appears globally
in use.desc. This would allow a description for that USE flag to be
contained in the metadata.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0056.html

I encourage any and all _technical_ feedback.

Thanks.

As asked in the last council meeting here are my thoughts.

1. Rather than linking to the PMS repo it should refer to the devmanual
on CPV http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html

2. "Each <flag> XML tag requires a 'name' attribute which is the full
USE flag name as it would appear in the IUSE section of the ebuild."

Shouldn't this rather be as it appears. If the use flag is not used in
all versions I would rather see that the

3. It should clarify the meaning of the pkg and cat tags as links to
other places in the tree. IMHO it doesn't hurt to be explicit.

Regards,
Petteri