Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default Lastriting dev-libs/libffi (replaced by USE libffi in gcc itself)

# Samuli Suominen <drac@gentoo.org> (05 Jun 2008)
# Masked for removal in ~30 days by treecleaners.
# Replaced by USE libffi in sys-devel/gcc. Bug 163724.
dev-libs/libffi
dev-lang/squeak
x11-libs/gtk-server

Squeak and gtk-server maintainers still have time to rescue their
ebuild, just enough time has passed for handling this (one and half
year)

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Luis Francisco Araujo

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Luis Francisco Araujo

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Tiziano Müller

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> On 14:52 Thu 05 Jun , Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> # Samuli Suominen <drac@gentoo.org> (05 Jun 2008)
>> # Masked for removal in ~30 days by treecleaners.
>> # Replaced by USE libffi in sys-devel/gcc. Bug 163724.
>> dev-libs/libffi
>> dev-lang/squeak
>> x11-libs/gtk-server
>
> The latest version of g-wrap (1.9.11) requires the external libffi
> released a month or two ago, because it looks for the pkgconfig file
> installed by that and not gcc:
>
> - libffi is no longer distributed with g-wrap, as it is available
> as a stand-alone package now (instead of being burried in the
> GCC sources).
>
> Thoughts?

I'd vote for an external libffi as well since python currently has to use
it's bundled version of it (statically linking against it).
Using libffi provided by gcc (and linking dynamically) is no option yet
since portage doesn't protect the user from destroying his system by
re-emerging gcc without gcj or libffi USE flags (rev-dep check and
USE-based deps would be needed).

Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Petteri Räty

Albert Zeyer kirjoitti:

[...]

Isn't it always preferable to separate packages and break them down into
peaces (in this case have an external libffi) instead of having big
packages with lots of stuff (in this case GCC) ?

The proper solution is use deps.

Regards,
Petteri