Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
David Cantrell

Default Use yum.rpmUtils.arch.canonArch instead of rhpl

Here's a patch to replace the rhpl.arch.canonArch stuff with the same
thing from yum.rpmUtils. Not sure if we can use it the same way, but
it didn't complain when I used it this way.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 22:58 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> Here's a patch to replace the rhpl.arch.canonArch stuff with the same
> thing from yum.rpmUtils. Not sure if we can use it the same way, but
> it didn't complain when I used it this way.

We should really avoid importing yum in iutil as that will cause
problems for other backends. Although we could arguably just move the
functionality into yuminstall as that's really the only place it's
relevant

Jeremy

Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
David Cantrell

Here's a patch to replace the rhpl.arch.canonArch stuff with the same
thing from yum.rpmUtils. Not sure if we can use it the same way, but
it didn't complain when I used it this way.

We should really avoid importing yum in iutil as that will cause
problems for other backends. Although we could arguably just move the
functionality into yuminstall as that's really the only place it's
relevant

We also call it from anaconda, backend.py, and livecd.py. Not sure
where writeRpmPlatform() should live at this point.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 13:40 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 22:58 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> >> Here's a patch to replace the rhpl.arch.canonArch stuff with the same
> >> thing from yum.rpmUtils. Not sure if we can use it the same way, but
> >> it didn't complain when I used it this way.
> >
> > We should really avoid importing yum in iutil as that will cause
> > problems for other backends. Although we could arguably just move the
> > functionality into yuminstall as that's really the only place it's
> > relevant
>
> We also call it from anaconda, backend.py, and livecd.py. Not sure
> where writeRpmPlatform() should live at this point.

Well, for one thing, the method is poorly named at this point. We don't
actually *write* /etc/rpm/platform. Just /etc/rpm/macros. So the need
from anaconda should be able to be handled by us just setting the macros
ourselves via rpm.addMacro(). The call from livecd.py shouldn't be
needed as the live image should have things "right" already and if not,
we should fix it. And the call from backend.py is probably due to
moving things around at one point

Actually as I think outloud... I'm halfway tempted to just rip the
method out entirely and file an rpm bug if things go badly

Jeremy

Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
David Cantrell

[...]

Sounds good to me. More minus signs!