Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Mansour

Default Installation - Kernel panic

Hello,
I am trying to install gentoo on a desktop machine. I downloaded the
minimal CD and followed the instruction in the quick installation. Now,
I have a problem either in the grub configuration or in kernel and I
need help to figure this one out.

I have existing partitions for windows and my previous Fedora (/home
directory), therefore I installed gentoo on /dev/hda3. The problem is I
get a kernel panic when I try to boot. In grub I am using (hd0,2) as my
root, because I don't want to write anything to the mbr. After editing
grub.conf, I run a grub shell, and execute the commands root(hd0,2) then
setup(hd0,2). Then tried to reboot.

Here the relevant part of grub.conf:
title Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/kernel root=/dev/hda3

I don't have a separate partition for boot, it's on the root "/" filesystem.

Can anyone tell what's going on ? If there's missing info please let me
know, as everyone has different way when troubleshooting a problem.