-   Gentoo Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/)
-   -   Grub Halfway Installed (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/88027-grub-halfway-installed.html)

05-14-2008 06:46 PM

Grub Halfway Installed

Hi Randy,

In /boot/grub, do you have a link to menu.lst?

[root@Zeke ~]# ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-03-03 23:55 /boot/grub/menu.lst -> ./grub.conf

Brian Micek

Randy Barlow 05-14-2008 07:37 PM

Grub Halfway Installed

bmicek@speakeasy.net wrote:

Hi Randy,
In /boot/grub, do you have a link to menu.lst?
[root@Zeke ~]# ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-03-03 23:55 /boot/grub/menu.lst ->
./grub.conf

Curiously, I did not have that link. I created it using

ln -s grub.conf menu.lst

and it worked! My question now is why didn't the grub setup scripts
create this link for me? Thanks for the pointer though, now I'm
cruising on the automatic typeless reboot!

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

05-14-2008 07:52 PM

Grub Halfway Installed

Randy, I'm not a grub kind of guy but there seems to be some confusion about grub.conf versus menu.lst.* Googling it suggests that menu.lst is an outdated name.* Before I sent this email I ran this command on my Fedora Core 8 box:

[root@Zeke ~]# strings /boot/grub/stage2 | grep menu.lst

[root@Zeke ~]# strings /boot/grub/stage2 | grep grub.conf

/grub/grub.conf

/grub.conf

Interestingly, on an older SuSE 9.3 box, I get this:

SuSE-2:~ # strings /boot/grub/stage2 | grep menu.lst

/boot/grub/menu.lst

/menu.lst

I don't run Gentoo anymore but it seems like there is some confusion about the grub configuration file in Gentoo.

Brian Micek