-   Gentoo Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/)
-   -   ktp-text-ui not starting (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/673751-ktp-text-ui-not-starting.html)

Yohan Pereira 06-17-2012 03:29 PM

ktp-text-ui not starting

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:43:46PM +0000, Duncan wrote:

> I'm a kde guy but don't run telepathy, so this may or may not help, but I
> didn't see anything in your post about running revdep-rebuild, or
> manually rebuilding packages depending on telepathy (equery depends
> telepathy should get you a list).
>
> I'm guessing the ABI changed enough that at least some packages built
> against it need rebuilt, thus the issue.

Hi Duncan,
Thanks for the reply. I tried revdep-rebuild (didn't list anything). So
I manually recompiled all telepathy related stuff with no luck.

Kde telepathy works slightly different from other chat clients.
Here the chat-ui, contact list, etc. are all separate applications. They are
launched appropriately using dbus. So this looks more like a problem with
the dbus related config files or something else rather than ABI change.

If you use an IM client you should try out the current stable
version of kde telepathy its cool albeit not fully cooked.

--

- Yohan Pereira

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.
-- Mark Twain

Duncan 06-18-2012 06:58 AM

ktp-text-ui not starting

Yohan Pereira posted on Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:59:22 +0530 as excerpted:

> If you use an IM client you should try out the current stable version of
> kde telepathy its cool albeit not fully cooked.

Heh, I'm not an IM/IRC kind of guy. I strongly prefer the async nature
of newsgroups and email, where I can take two hours composing a detailed
reply if I want, a week or whatever later if I want, and not have to
worry about the other end waiting.

So I don't install any of that sort of stuff. If I want instant, I use
my (VoIP based) phone.

Yeah, I know that doesn't work so well with the "millenial generation",
but as I'm in my mid-40s I'm young enough to appreciate email, but I
guess not young enough to appreciate IM/IRC.