Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Ian Harwood

Default GNOME not starting as expected.

HI,

I am not entrirely sure how this works but I am having an issue with starting GNOME this is the error I get instead of it starting up:

xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.serverauth.3624 does not exist
xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.Xauthority does not exist

Has anyone else come across this issue before?

Many Thanks,

Ian

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Duncan

Ian Harwood posted on Wed, 09 May 2012 18:47:13 +0200 as excerpted:

> I am not entrirely sure how this works but I am having an issue with
> starting GNOME this is the error I get instead of it starting up:
>
> xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.serverauth.3624 does not exist
> xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.Xauthority does not exist
> xauth: file /home/neewbeebian/.Xauthority does not exist
>
> Has anyone else come across this issue before?

As the error indicates, those files are part of the xorg authorization
system. They're normally created automatically by the x/destkop startup
scripts as X starts or you login (if running *dm graphical logins).

If you don't run it routinely, try running revdep-rebuild. If that
doesn't rebuild the xauth package, try rebuilding it by hand.

The issue can also be one of permissions. Check that the files aren't
owned by root or set readonly, etc.