Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Randy Barlow

Default Gnome Fonts Get Small Sometimes

Hi Gentooers! I have had a strange problem for a while, and I figured
I'd write in about it finally. It's a problem of inconsistency, which,
IMO, is the worst kind of problem. Every now and then when I start
gnome (via startx), all the fonts are tiny. Here's a screenshot to show
what I mean:

http://electronsweatshop.com/smallFonts.png

And here's a screenshot to show what I normally see (the small fonts
only happen in something around 1 in 5-10 startx's):

http://electronsweatshop.com/normalFonts.png

Ideas?

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Randy Barlow
<randy@electronsweatshop.com> wrote:
[...]
> Ideas?

It's the DPI resolution. See the one that you like (probably something
like 96) and set this in the monitor section of xorg.conf:

Option "DPI" "96 x 96"

Also, check the log for X.org, and look for "DisplaySize" (when the
fonts are OK), and add it too to the xorg.conf file; it's something
like this:

DisplaySize 338 270

Those values are for *my* monitor; use the ones that the logs will recommend.

Good luck.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Randy Barlow

Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

It's the DPI resolution. See the one that you like (probably something
like 96) and set this in the monitor section of xorg.conf:

Option "DPI" "96 x 96"

Also, check the log for X.org, and look for "DisplaySize" (when the
fonts are OK), and add it too to the xorg.conf file; it's something
like this:

DisplaySize 338 270

Those values are for *my* monitor; use the ones that the logs will recommend.

Good luck.

Thank you Canek! I set the DPI to 96 as you suggested, and the fonts
came out the normal way. However, I don't see "DisplaySize" I do see
Display dimensions (which is a similar value). Is that the same thing?
Units of millimeters?

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Di
(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at 8 bpp: 350 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at 16 bpp: 350 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at 32 bpp: 350 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (330, 240) mm

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Randy Barlow
<randy@electronsweatshop.com> wrote:
> Thank you Canek! I set the DPI to 96 as you suggested, and the fonts
> came out the normal way. However, I don't see "DisplaySize" I do see
> Display dimensions (which is a similar value). Is that the same thing?
> Units of millimeters?

Those are the values; add this line to your monitor section in your xorg.conf:

DisplaySize 330 240

I've no idea of the unit used.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés