Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Lindsay Haisley

Default A few problems with CDs and sound

I'm having a bit of a problem getting CDs to play properly after a
recent gentoo upgrade. The sound card is an Audigy2 SZ which displays
the underlying ALSA mixer indicator

Here are the symptoms:

* grip will rip but won't play. No sound at all. I've tried dickering
with volume levels in the Alsa mixer window - no luck.

* totem crashes when I try to open /dev/cdrom with:
"totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so:
undefined symbol: gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename"

* alsaplayer works OK

* gnome-cd works as expected although it gives me a "Generic IO error"
message.

Both grip and totem used to work properly. Dozens of programs changed
in the upgrade. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be the
problem here?

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at

Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Randy Barlow

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

I'm having a bit of a problem getting CDs to play properly after a
recent gentoo upgrade.

Both grip and totem used to work properly. Dozens of programs changed
in the upgrade. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be the
problem here?

What were the packages that were upgraded? And did you try running
revdep-rebuild? Perhaps there are some broken dependencies?

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 20:47 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> > I'm having a bit of a problem getting CDs to play properly after a
> > recent gentoo upgrade.
>
> > Both grip and totem used to work properly. Dozens of programs changed
> > in the upgrade. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be the
> > problem here?
>
> What were the packages that were upgraded?

There were about 300 of them. Do you really want a full list???

> And did you try running
> revdep-rebuild?

Yes, as always.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at

Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Lindsay Haisley

It might be worth noting that clicking on the "Audio Disk" icon on my
desktop that's displayed when I insert a CD crashes Nautilus, which
immediately reloads, of course.

I wouldn't care so much about totem crashing since I'd rather not use it
for CDs anyway, but it comes up willy-nilly when I insert a CD. And
yes, I've been to System | Preferences | Removable Drives and Media and
set gnome-cd as the default Audio CD Disks player, and as far as I can
tell totem doesn't show up anywhere in the system configuration. Both
gnome-cd and totem open up when I insert a CD. The problem with totem
occurs whether or not gnome-cd is running.

I'd really like to get sound back for grip, though, since that's my CD
player of preference.

I thought someone on this list might have a insightful comment on the
totem error:

Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Duncan

Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> posted
1206926809.7434.12.camel@vishnu.fmp.com, excerpted below, on Sun, 30 Mar
2008 20:26:49 -0500:

> I thought someone on this list might have a insightful comment on the
> totem error:
>
> "totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so:
> undefined symbol: gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename"

Well, I'm a KDE guy with GTK+ but not GNOME installed, meaning no GNOME-
Virtual_FileSystem either, but it's relatively easy to see the problem
there, that libcdda.so was built with support for whatever provided
gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename, but that the current version of whatever that
was doesn't provide it in the same way, so it can't see it now.

One would think that revdep-rebuild would catch the problem, but maybe it
didn't in your case. Or... you've rerun revdep-rebuild and got a clean-
system report, and rebooted since then, just to be sure, right? (True,
this is Linux and a reboot shouldn't really be necessary if you know how
to flush everything currently running, but it remains the easiest way to
be sure when remote troubleshooting.)

If revdep-rebuild is saying you are fine, you rebooted so you /know/
everything is flushed since then, and you are /still/ getting the
problem, then I'd say it's time to file a bug, since either revdep-
rebuild is not seeing something it should, or your loader (ld.so, part of
glibc) is screwing up. The latter could be due to a screwed up ldcache,
due to screwed up library search paths, but then even more so, there's a
Gentoo bug somewhere with the library search paths infrastructure and it
needs fixed.

It's also possible you could trace and resolve the missing symbols to a
particular library and then it to a package manually. That's what I'd
try, but I'm not up to trying to explain how ATM...

Actually, what I could (and did) do here, some time ago when I had
similar problems and did have GNOME-VFS merged, was kill the gnome-vfs
USE flags stuff, since I'm not a GNOME user anyway. You could /try/
killing it for totem and/or its dependencies and see how far you get, but
I'm guessing that's not a way you want to go. I wouldn't blame you if
you're a GNOME fan.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 05:33 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> posted
> 1206926809.7434.12.camel@vishnu.fmp.com, excerpted below, on Sun, 30 Mar
> 2008 20:26:49 -0500:
>
> > I thought someone on this list might have a insightful comment on the
> > totem error:
> >
> > "totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so:
> > undefined symbol: gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename"
>
> Well, I'm a KDE guy with GTK+ but not GNOME installed, meaning no GNOME-
> Virtual_FileSystem either, but it's relatively easy to see the problem
> there, that libcdda.so was built with support for whatever provided
> gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename, but that the current version of whatever that
> was doesn't provide it in the same way, so it can't see it now.

This may be the key. It looks as if gnome-vfs is
slotted. /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so is a symlink
to /usr/lib/vfs/modules/libcdda.so. equery b says that this file
belongs to gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4. The current installed version
of gnome-vfs is 2.20.1-r1 and there are 3 versions on the system. I
think I may have some slot-slippage here. I'll comb out that tangle,
re-run revdep-rebuild, re-emerge totem and see what happens.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 00:58 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 05:33 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > Well, I'm a KDE guy with GTK+ but not GNOME installed, meaning no GNOME-
> > Virtual_FileSystem either, but it's relatively easy to see the problem
> > there, that libcdda.so was built with support for whatever provided
> > gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename, but that the current version of whatever that
> > was doesn't provide it in the same way, so it can't see it now.
>
> This may be the key. It looks as if gnome-vfs is
> slotted. /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so is a symlink
> to /usr/lib/vfs/modules/libcdda.so. equery b says that this file
> belongs to gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4. The current installed version
> of gnome-vfs is 2.20.1-r1 and there are 3 versions on the system. I
> think I may have some slot-slippage here. I'll comb out that tangle,
> re-run revdep-rebuild, re-emerge totem and see what happens.

Ahhh. Success! Thanks, Duncan. I deleted gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4 and now
at least totem doesn't crash, and plays the CD. I'm getting "cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory" which is a sure sign
that a things are out of sync so I'm running revdep-rebuild again to
pick up the missing pieces.

Now if I can get grip fixed as easily .....

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Dale

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

This may be the key. It looks as if gnome-vfs is
slotted. /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so is a symlink
to /usr/lib/vfs/modules/libcdda.so. equery b says that this file
belongs to gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4. The current installed version
of gnome-vfs is 2.20.1-r1 and there are 3 versions on the system. I
think I may have some slot-slippage here. I'll comb out that tangle,
re-run revdep-rebuild, re-emerge totem and see what happens.

Just something to think about, you may want to reemerge
gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4 and see if that changes anything.* A last
resort of course.* I find that sometimes you just have to try
everything no matter how silly it may sound.

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 01:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
> > This may be the key. It looks as if gnome-vfs is
> > slotted. /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so is a symlink
> > to /usr/lib/vfs/modules/libcdda.so. equery b says that this file
> > belongs to gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4. The current installed version
> > of gnome-vfs is 2.20.1-r1 and there are 3 versions on the system. I
> > think I may have some slot-slippage here. I'll comb out that tangle,
> > re-run revdep-rebuild, re-emerge totem and see what happens.
>
> Just something to think about, you may want to reemerge
> gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r4 and see if that changes anything. A
> last resort of course. I find that sometimes you just have to try
> everything no matter how silly it may sound.

Actually, the problem was apparently solved by _unmerging_
gnomve-vfs-1.0.5-r4 altogether. Now everything works as it should, both
totem and grip. I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still
complains about not being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what
this library does.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Dale

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

[...]

That is sometimes another option.* If it complains about something,
unmerge it and see what happens.* I sort of hate to post that because I
didn't know what other packages it may break.* I also don't use Gnome
since I am a KDE guy.* Just lucky enough to have a machine fast enough
to run KDE.* I wasn't sure how deep the dependency was for Gnome to
work without that package.

Glad you got it working tho.* That's the important part.

Dale

:-)* :-)*