Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Randy Barlow

Default A few problems with CDs and sound

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still
complains about not being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what
this library does.

I think libcdda is for looking up on a central database the artist/track
names for CDs.

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 03:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
> > Actually, the problem was apparently solved by _unmerging_
> > gnomve-vfs-1.0.5-r4 altogether. Now everything works as it should, both
> > totem and grip. I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still
> > complains about not being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what
> > this library does.
>
> That is sometimes another option. If it complains about something,
> unmerge it and see what happens. I sort of hate to post that because
> I didn't know what other packages it may break. I also don't use
> Gnome since I am a KDE guy. Just lucky enough to have a machine fast
> enough to run KDE. I wasn't sure how deep the dependency was for
> Gnome to work without that package.

Actually, gnomve-vfs-1.0.5-r4 isn't even in the portage tree anymore.
If there are any dependencies on it by active, stable ebuilds that
aren't solved by gnome-vfs-2.20.1-r1 then that's truly a bug and should
be reported. As it is, I still get a warning about gnome-vfs being
unable to find libcdda.so, which is a spurious message since libcdda.so
seems to have been a _part_ of gnome-vfs (the older version). This
ought to be fixed, but it's more of an annoyance bug since totem seems
to work as expected otherwise.

When in doubt on these things, I generally winnow down the slotted
components and re-emerge everything involved, and run revdep-rebuild
enough to satisfy me that there aren't any _obvious_ breakages.

> Glad you got it working tho. That's the important part.

Yep!

--
Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at

Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Randy Barlow

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

When in doubt on these things, I generally winnow down the slotted
components and re-emerge everything involved, and run revdep-rebuild
enough to satisfy me that there aren't any _obvious_ breakages.

Hey Lindsay, you might have a look at the output of emerge --depclean
-p. If you have a lot of old packages on your machine, there's no
telling what versions of them are being linked. If you can get rid of
things that don't belong anymore, you might find that revdep-rebuild
will find a lot of breakages (indicating that packages were linking to
old versions of packages). Do be cautious before blindly unmerging
things though!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Duncan

Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> posted
47F0CA08.3070400@electronsweatshop.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Mar
2008 07:24:56 -0400:

> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>> I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still complains about not
>> being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what this library does.
>
> I think libcdda is for looking up on a central database the artist/track
> names for CDs.

Yes. CD-database. There's some politics in the history there for those
interested...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Duncan

Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> posted
47F0F821.4010101@electronsweatshop.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Mar
2008 10:41:37 -0400:

> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>> When in doubt on these things, I generally winnow down the slotted
>> components and re-emerge everything involved, and run revdep-rebuild
>> enough to satisfy me that there aren't any _obvious_ breakages.
>
> Hey Lindsay, you might have a look at the output of emerge --depclean
> -p. If you have a lot of old packages on your machine, there's no
> telling what versions of them are being linked. If you can get rid of
> things that don't belong anymore, you might find that revdep-rebuild
> will find a lot of breakages (indicating that packages were linking to
> old versions of packages). Do be cautious before blindly unmerging
> things though!

Just what I was going to suggest. gnome-vfs-1.x would have been part of
gnome-1, which AFAIK is long gone. If you still have it around, chances
are you have a lot of stale packages still around. Cleaning some of that
thicket out should be a good thing, but of course you're likely to have a
bunch of bad revdep-rebuild dependencies to fix after you do.

One thing you might try for anything you are in doubt on, assuming you
don't use FEATURES=buildpkg and therefore have the binary packages
already, is to use quickpkg to package up anything before removal. That
way, if something critical stops working, you should still be able to
remerge from the binary-package. (In the event portage itself stops
working, since the binpkg is simply a bz2'ed tarball with some extra
metadata tacked onto the end, it's possible to extract individual files
manually, until one gets a working system once again. If the system's
broken to the point that doesn't work either, use any LiveCD with tar-
bunzip support.)

Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 10:41 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Do be cautious before blindly unmerging
> things though!

Oooh! Very good advice, that. Kind of like burning down the pantry to
get rid of the rats ;-)

--
Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at

Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 AM
"Paul de Vrieze"

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> posted
> 47F0CA08.3070400@electronsweatshop.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Mar
> 2008 07:24:56 -0400:
>

> > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> >> I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still complains about not
> >> being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what this library does.
> >
> > I think libcdda is for looking up on a central database the artist/track
> > names for CDs.
>
> Yes. CD-database. There's some politics in the history there for those
> interested...

Hmm. Actually, it has little to do with databases. That is CDDB
(notice the last letter). CDDA is CD Direct Access. This comes from
the fact that there are two ways to play cd's with a computer. The
first way is to have your dvd (or cd) player, transform the cd data
into sound, and transfer it via a cable to your sound card (or
motherboard). This is what the cd channel in your mixer is about. The
second way used to be problematic a long time ago, but shouldn't
really be so now. It fixes the problem of missing
cdplayer-to-soundcard cables. That is, the cd drive reads the digital
data from the disc, and this data is then send as pcm data (like a wav
file) to the sound card. The job of libcdda is to do that. The culprit
here is a wrapper around libcdda to allow gnome systems to see an
audio cd as a filesystem (it is not) and also provide easy ripping in
the user interface.

Paul

ps. To rip cd's you always use digital access. Otherwise you couldn't
make quality copies.

--
Paul de Vrieze
Researcher

Old 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Duncan

"Paul de Vrieze" <pauldv@gentoo.org> posted
55e0be1b0804010431y7e29375co30f5b67de003d058@mail. gmail.com, excerpted
below, on Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:31:26 +1100:

>> Yes. CD-database. There's some politics in the history there for
>> those interested...
>

> Hmm. Actually, it has little to do with databases. That is CDDB (notice
> the last letter). CDDA is CD Direct Access.

Duh, missed the significance of the last letter. Oops!

Thanks for the correction! =8^) The new data is now filed away in /my/
database. Hopefully retrieval proves to be reliable. =8^)