Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/)
-   -   How to get rid of things depending on KDE4. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/577229-how-get-rid-things-depending-kde4.html)

Dale 09-18-2011 07:39 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend. Thing is,
some KDE4 stuff keeps getting pulled in. This is the list as best as I
can tell with my command:


kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1
kde-base/kdesu-4.7.1
kde-base/nepomuk-4.7.1
kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
kde-base/kde-env-4.7.1

I suspect this is a USE flag problem but I can't figure it out for the
life of me. Here is the USE line from emerge --info:


USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aac acpi alsa aml apng auto-hinter automount avahi
bash-completion berkdb bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdr chroot cleartype cli
clucene consolekit corefonts cracklib cups curl cxx dbus declarative dri
dvd dvdr emboss encode escreen esd exif fam fdftk ffmpeg firefox flac
fortran gdbm gdu gif gimp gkrellm gnutls gphoto2 gpm gtk hbci hddtemp
iconv ipv6 java javascript jbig jpeg jpeg2k justify kde kipi lcms
libnotify libwww logrotate loop-aes mad mdnsresponder-compat melt mmx
mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mudflap mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly
nsplugin offensive ofx ogg opengl openmp pam pango parport pcre pdf perl
phonon plasma png policykit ppds ppp pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4
readline sasl sdl seamonkey semantic-desktop session sift smp spell sse
ssl startup-notification svg sysfs syslog tcl tcpd threads tiff tk
truetype type1 udev unicode usb vcd vorbis webkit win32codecs wma wmf
x264 x86 xcb xcomposite xinerama xml xorg xscreensaver xv xvid yahoo
zeroconf zlib"


I have policykit disabled in make.conf but it is enabled according to
emerge --info. Is that the problem? One of them at least? I have
tried to remove that but they keep getting pulled in. I did get rid of
some but these last few are hair pullers to get rid of.


Thanks for any tips.

Dale

:-) :-)

Sebastian Be▀ler 09-18-2011 09:06 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Am 18.09.2011 21:39, schrieb Dale:

> Thanks for any tips.

The first I would try is to remove the kde and kipi flags. If that helps
then set them via package.use for one package at a time so you find
what pulls kde4.

Greetings

Sebastian

Alex Schuster 09-18-2011 09:23 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Dale writes:

> I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend.

I gave up on this. I was not able to enable HAL :-)

> Thing is,
> some KDE4 stuff keeps getting pulled in. This is the list as best as I
> can tell with my command:
>
> kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1
> kde-base/kdesu-4.7.1
> kde-base/nepomuk-4.7.1
> kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
> kde-base/kde-env-4.7.1

Use the -t/--tree argument to emerge, this will tell you what is pulling
them in.

Wonko

Michał Górny 09-18-2011 09:30 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:39:12 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend. Thing
> is, some KDE4 stuff keeps getting pulled in. This is the list as
> best as I can tell with my command:
>
> kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1
> kde-base/kdesu-4.7.1
> kde-base/nepomuk-4.7.1
> kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
> kde-base/kde-env-4.7.1

emerge --depclean -v =kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1

should show what keeps it around. And similarly for remaining packages.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Sebastian Be▀ler 09-18-2011 09:32 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Am 18.09.2011 23:23, schrieb Alex Schuster:
> Dale writes:
>
>> I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend.
>
> I gave up on this. I was not able to enable HAL :-)

HAL is just on of many good reasons to avoid KDE3 and use something else
like e17 or xfce4. If KDE tools are needed then use the ones from KDE4,
they work flawless with other DE and WM

Greetings

Sebastian Be▀ler

Alex Schuster 09-18-2011 09:42 PM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Sebastian Be▀ler writes:

> Am 18.09.2011 23:23, schrieb Alex Schuster:
> > Dale writes:
> >
> >> I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend.
> >
> > I gave up on this. I was not able to enable HAL :-)
>
> HAL is just on of many good reasons to avoid KDE3 and use something else
> like e17 or xfce4. If KDE tools are needed then use the ones from KDE4,
> they work flawless with other DE and WM

The problem were the kioslaves, without HAL, KDE3 was unable to detect
and automount external media. I wanted to keep the setup, the PC is
rather old and slow, but in the end I switched to KDE4. Using Sabayon
Linux instead of Gentoo, in order to avoid the compiles.

Wonko

Dale 09-19-2011 01:07 AM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Michał Górny wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:39:12 -0500
Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:


I am still working on a stable install of KDE3 for a friend. Thing
is, some KDE4 stuff keeps getting pulled in. This is the list as
best as I can tell with my command:

kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1
kde-base/kdesu-4.7.1
kde-base/nepomuk-4.7.1
kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
kde-base/kde-env-4.7.1

emerge --depclean -v =kde-base/khelpcenter-4.7.1

should show what keeps it around. And similarly for remaining packages.

Did some of that already, just forgot to mention it. It seems to go
into circles. I installed KDE4 first then KDE3. I'm thinking about
getting rid of them both then installing just KDE3. I really think
there is some USE flag that is doing this.


I did remove the KDE USE flag. It didn't help. I'm going to switch to
a plain Desktop profile. I think I have it on the KDE profile not that
I think about it.


Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Dale 09-19-2011 05:40 AM

How to get rid of things depending on KDE4.
 
Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:

Am 18.09.2011 21:39, schrieb Dale:


Thanks for any tips.

The first I would try is to remove the kde and kipi flags. If that helps
then set them via package.use for one package at a time so you find
what pulls kde4.

Greetings

Sebastian



I set it to a plain desktop profile and that seemed to clean things up
nicely. Now we cooking with KDE3.


Thanks much. I knew it was something simple that I was missing.

Dale

:-) :-)


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.