Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Dan Johansson

Default Knotify4 does not detect inserted CD/DVD and/or USB-Disks

On Saturday 16 April 2011 18.31:50 Duncan wrote:
> Dan Johansson posted on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:56:33 +0200 as excerpted:
> >>
> >> have you enabled the udev use flag? for eg. on kdelibs et al.
> >
> > Yes, udev is enabled (and I have recompiled kdelibs, solid and knotify a
> > few times today while experimenting).
>
> You don't mention what kde version.
>
> kde 4.6.0 was the first to switch away from hal. If you're running
> previous to that, you need hal for detection.
>
> I don't know why (perhaps an issue with policykit or dbus interfering, or
> because I don't have device-mapper on in the kernel even tho udisks
> depends on lvm for device-mapper and asks for the kernel option as well?),
> but with 4.6.0, detection, at least for cd/dvd, didn't work here either.
>
> But, 4.6.1 suddenly started worked with cd/dvd at least (I've not changed
> kernel options, so I guess device-mapper isn't needed afterall, for that).
>
> Now 4.6.2 doesn't appear to be working, again, but I last updated a few
> days ago so maybe they've patched it to work again by now?
>
> I've not tried USB mass storage, so I don't know if that's working or not.
>
> But, I don't really care about auto-mounting here anyway, so it's not a
> big deal for me either way. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it
> doesn't. I actually thought my config was screwed up for it, so I was
> surprised when it started working in 4.6.1.

Sorry forgot to mention I'm running AMD64 Stable and therefor KDE-4.4.5.
Of cause I do not _need_ the knotify-popup to mount something I can do it on
the command line as well but I find it is nice to have and the users of "the
other OS" asks me why I have do such things manually in Linux.

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Dan Johansson

On Saturday 16 April 2011 19.18:10 Yohan Pereira wrote:
> On Saturday 16 Apr 2011 06:26:33 PM Dan Johansson wrote:
> > Yes, udev is enabled (and I have recompiled kdelibs, solid and knotify a
> > few times today while experimenting).
>
> does automounting through dolphin/konqueror work?
> is it just the notifcation part thats not working?

In neither Dolphin nor Konqueror does automounting work.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Jakob Kummerow

> Sorry forgot to mention I'm running AMD64 Stable and therefor KDE-4.4.5.

As Duncan already said earlier in this thread, KDE 4.6 was the first
version that could do auto-mounting without HAL. Both 4.4.x and 4.5.x
need HAL for auto-mounting.

So, if you want auto-mounting, you have two options:
(1) update KDE to 4.6.x (IMHO it's better overall than 4.4.x ever was, YMMV)
(2) re-install HAL for the time being (it doesn't hurt, does it?).

> Of course I do not _need_ the knotify-popup to mount something I can do it on
> the command line as well but I find it is nice to have and the users of "the
> other OS" asks me why I have do such things manually in Linux.

Well, you don't have to, if you have the right packages installed :-)

Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Duncan

Jakob Kummerow posted on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:58:56 +0200 as excerpted:

> (1) update KDE to 4.6.x (IMHO it's better overall than 4.4.x ever was,
> YMMV)

YMMV indeed. While I'd definitely recommend updating to a later 4.5, as
in 4.5.4 or 4.5.5, that won't do away with the hal dependency for device
detection and automounting.

I personally had no problems with 4.6.0 or 4.6.1, but 4.6.0 being the
first in the 4.6 feature series it wasn't really considered ready for
stable, and 4.6.1 had a number of regressions -- kde's switching svn ->
git and some of the tarball components got pulled from the wrong
location. Still, either of those were reasonably fine by me. (It's worth
noting in context, however, that for whatever reason, auto-detection
worked for me in 4.6.1 but not in 4.6.0).

4.6.2 has been worse, and from the kde-linux and kde-general lists I
participate in upstream, I'm not the only one to find it so.

One of the bigger problems seems to be if you have dual monitors, so if
you don't commonly run with more than a single monitor, 4.6.2 might be
fine. But apparently, 4.6.2 plasma has problems figuring out which
monitor the panels should be on and their size, as I have problems with
one of mine insisting that it belongs on the wrong monitor, at every kde
start (or plasma-desktop restart, if I terminate and restart it manually,
as I do occasionally), and another poster mentioned problems with it being
on the correct edge for him, but at the wrong location and size. Both of
us have to reset the one panel every time we restart kde or plasma-desktop.

So 4.6.1 was the best in the 4.6 series for me, since both plasma and
device detection worked, while one or the other has been broken for me on
4.6.0 and 4.6.2. But 4.6.2 should be fine for single-monitor folks.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

> After getting rid of HAL knotify4 does not detect a inserted
> CD/DVD/USB-Disk. I have installed udisks and upower.

Did you reboot since removing hal? May be necessary...
cheers, Andreas

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Dan Johansson

On Monday 18 April 2011 00.41:27 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > After getting rid of HAL knotify4 does not detect a inserted
> > CD/DVD/USB-Disk. I have installed udisks and upower.
>
> Did you reboot since removing hal? May be necessary...
> cheers, Andreas

Yes, after every new thing tried.