-   Gentoo Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/)
-   -   New install - basic question (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/485446-new-install-basic-question.html)

Jakob Kummerow 02-05-2011 03:53 PM

New install - basic question

2011/2/5 Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com>:
> Hi I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance to use
> an intel quad 64 processor.
> This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new install?

Generally that shouldn't be necessary. Intel's and AMD's x86_64
technologies, also known as amd64 because AMD designed them, are
compatible.
Before plugging your hard disk into your new mainboard, though, you
should make sure that your kernel supports enough of that board's
integrated devices to be able to boot. IOW, you will most probably
need to change your kernel config and compile a new kernel. Or you
could just try it and hope for the best -- but have some bootable CD
or thumbdrive ready so that you can boot from that and chroot into
your installation if necessary.

> Which chost and cflags should I use?

The same as you should have right now:
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"

Cheers,
Jakob

Duncan 02-05-2011 04:54 PM

New install - basic question

Paul Stear posted on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:41:29 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance
> to use an intel quad 64 processor.

(Answered on the other list, gentoo/amd64 IIRC.)