Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Dale

Default KDE 4.6 still masked?

Theo Chatzimichos wrote:

On Friday 28 January 2011 22:34:06 Dale wrote:

Ian Whyman wrote:

May have just needed a kbuildsysoca4 run.

On Jan 28, 2011 6:08 PM, "Dale"<rdalek1967@gmail.com

<mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:

That's the one I was thinking about. If I could have remembered what
the command was, I would have tried it first. Thanks for helping a
forgetful old guy since it may help someone else if they run into the
same situation. I suspect that would have solved the problem.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

We got many similar reports, I'll add it in the Guide FAQ

I was using the -j option when I upgraded KDE. Could that have
something to do with it? Maybe the last package that was "officially"
emerged didn't run the command. I'm just guessing on this tho.

Another thing I have noticed, when I log out, apps don't close
gracefully. I get the KDE crash handler instead of them just closing
like usual. I'm not sure but suspect that is a KDE issue and not a
Gentoo issue. Just something I noticed a bit ago.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Maciej Mrozowski

On Friday 28 of January 2011 18:42:35 Dale wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> Btw, the "package.unmask/kde-4.6" file from the kde overlay is
> >>
> >> missing entries for:
> >> sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent
> >> kde-misc/polkit-kde-kcmodules
> >> sys-auth/polkit-qt
> >
> > I used autounmask to unmask mine here. I installed it yesterday and
> > so far it is running fine. I don't see any problems at the moment.
> > I'm running AMD64 here, if that matters.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-) :-)
>
> May want to hold off on the upgrade until I see what caused this. My
> Kmenu is about empty. No apps at all. It has the other stuff but no
> way to start apps. Example, Seamonkey, gtkam or Kcalc is listed. The
> only way I can start a app is to use the run dialog. Luckily I have
> some links in the panel.
>
> Will post if I find a solution. Going to re-emerge some stuff to see if
> that fixes it. If not, no idea what to check next.

Like someone already said, one needs to re-run kbuildsycoca4 (or usually just
re-login). In any case relogin is needed in order to get new value for
variable XDG_MENU_PREFIX applied before running kbuildsycoca4 (it's set in
xinitrc session scripts).
It is always needed when upgrading between minor releases (so 4.5->4.6)
Good news is that famous 'required to start kmail twice' bug is fixed when
using kdepimlibs-4.6. Also some plasma glitches are fixed with this release so
it should be generally worth switching to.

--
regards
MM

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Theo Chatzimichos

On Friday 28 January 2011 12:41:03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 01/28/2011 11:12 AM, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> > On Friday 28 January 2011 10:53:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> Why is KDE 4.6 still masked in portage? Unfortunately, the comment in
> >> profiles/package.mask doesn't say anything other than the obvious:
> >>
> >> "Mask KDE SC 4.6.0 and deps"
> >
> > Due to masked deps, I don't think it will unmasked soon
>
> Btw, the "package.unmask/kde-4.6" file from the kde overlay is missing
> entries for:
>
> sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent
> kde-misc/polkit-kde-kcmodules
> sys-auth/polkit-qt

We've just added more files in keywords and unmask files including the above.
Please check and hit us back if there is anything wrong
--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
Gentoo KDE/Qt, Planet, Overlays