FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

Hi there!

KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge it
because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.

Any idea why this is?

Wonko
 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Duncan
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:

> KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
> it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.
>
> Any idea why this is?

It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in preparation,
then simply unmask them on the day of release (or maybe a day later if
they forget or if there are last-minute changes that broke something and
they're left scrambling), but this time, whether due to policy change or
simply overlooking it (it /was/ a long holiday weekend here in the US) I
don't know, they didn't.

There's a bug open. I'm CCed and you can too (I searched on ALL kde 4.5.4
and it was the only one), but if I don't miss my guess, release might be
today anyway, in which case it'll be moot. I'm sort of expecting it
today, Monday, but I'd almost certainly expect it by Wednesday.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
 
Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

Duncan writes:

> It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
> put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in
> preparation, then simply unmask them on the day of release (or maybe a
> day later if they forget or if there are last-minute changes that
> broke something and they're left scrambling), but this time, whether
> due to policy change or simply overlooking it (it /was/ a long holiday
> weekend here in the US) I don't know, they didn't.

Thanks, Duncan! Then I'll just wait. I thought maybe I have to add some
specific mirrors for the kde overlay or something. Now I'll just wait a
little.

> There's a bug open. I'm CCed and you can too (I searched on ALL kde
> 4.5.4 and it was the only one), but if I don't miss my guess, release
> might be today anyway, in which case it'll be moot. I'm sort of
> expecting it today, Monday, but I'd almost certainly expect it by
> Wednesday.

I do not find anything when I search for 4.5.4. Well, whatever.

Wonko
 
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Duncan
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:33:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> Duncan writes:
>
>> It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
>> put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in
>> preparation, then simply unmask them on the day of release (or maybe a
>> day later if they forget or if there are last-minute changes that broke
>> something and they're left scrambling), but this time, whether due to
>> policy change or simply overlooking it (it /was/ a long holiday weekend
>> here in the US) I don't know, they didn't.
>
> Thanks, Duncan! Then I'll just wait. I thought maybe I have to add some
> specific mirrors for the kde overlay or something. Now I'll just wait a
> little.
>
>> There's a bug open. I'm CCed and you can too (I searched on ALL kde
>> 4.5.4 and it was the only one), but if I don't miss my guess, release
>> might be today anyway, in which case it'll be moot. I'm sort of
>> expecting it today, Monday, but I'd almost certainly expect it by
>> Wednesday.
>
> I do not find anything when I search for 4.5.4. Well, whatever.

Two notes:

1: According to the bug, they did the masking and marked the bug invalid
(I'd have chosen fixed, but whatever...), so at your next update it should
no longer be a problem (it'll either be masked or the new version will be
out and it'll be unmasked again).

2: Making bugzilla search work is a challenge. I never did get the
detailed search working for me, but the little one-box fast-search down at
the bottom, where you put in a bug number or search terms, works well
enough in most cases.

The key to remember is that in almost all cases, you'll want to precede
your query with the word "ALL" (in all caps). Without that, you only get
open bugs, but as a user, you almost always want to be searching for bugs
that may have been closed, as well. So it's become a habit for me now, if
I'm putting in search terms and not a bug number, I always start it with
ALL<space>, then my search terms.

Normally, you'd then put in a specific package name, but we don't have a
specific name as it's all kde, so we just use kde. If possible, use the
full Gentoo category/name, too, when searching on a specific package.
Otherwise you'll likely get bugs in other packages only slightly related
to the package in question.

Then, put in as much of the version number as makes sense. When it's a
specific package, that means using the category/package-v.e.r syntax. The
reasoning for that is that if a filter forgets to put it in, the bug
wranglers usually adjust it to that as standard form, so you'll get all
the hits on that package and version, while eliminating more extraneous
hits. But do keep in mind, if you don't /know/ which version the bug
appeared in, and you try say 4.4.3 and it doesn't turn up, you can hit
back and relax your query to only 4.4. or even only 4. Again, use what
makes sense.

Then put any other search terms likely to be in the title, crash if it is,
a keyword from the error if it's an emerge failure, etc. Again, you can
take them out if you don't get any hits and try again. Or of course if
you get too many hits, you can try narrowing it with more keywords. Be
sure and think of alternatives as well and try them too. Many crashes are
segfaults, for instance, so if crash doesn't work, segfault might.

Regardless, you'll often find yourself looking at a whole long list of
bugs, say 200, 500, whatever, with no way to practically narrow it further
without using the detail search which as I said I've never been able to
get to work as I expect, here. At this point, the key is to remember that
the bugs are in numerical order by default, with the numbers assigned
chronologically. So you can start with the LAST bug listed, therefore,
the newest, and search titles going backward, looking for something that
looks possibly related, until you clearly get back to when they were
obviously dealing with way earlier versions that didn't have the problem.
If you haven't found it by then, it's time to declare your search foo too
bad to find it, if it's there, and file a new bug.

Based on the above general rules, as I said, this query:

ALL kde 4.5.4

returns (still) just one bug, which happens to be the one we're looking
for. If you forget the ALL, you'll miss it since the bug is (as I say
above) already resolved/invalid, and thus won't show unless the query
starts with that all-important ALL.

Which is I expect what happened when you searched. You missed (or didn't
ALL CAPS) that ALL, and the bug was already resolved, so you got the
infamous zarro boogs found message.

Anyway, now that I've explained all that, since I just tried it again to
be sure, I might as well include the bug link it returns.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347013

--
Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
 
Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:


KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.

Any idea why this is?


It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in preparation,
then simply unmask them on the day of release


That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user
has to mask stuff.


In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
time, I'd say.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

On 12/07/2010 09:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:


KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.

Any idea why this is?


It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in preparation,
then simply unmask them on the day of release


That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user has
to mask stuff.

In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
time, I'd say.


Happened again. The 4.6 RC2 tarballs is not available yet, but it's not
masked anyway.


It would be awesome if the kde guys could mask the stuff, since it's a
lot of packages to mask by hand and it totally breaks emerge -u world.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Theo Chatzimichos
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 17:10:53 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 09:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:
> >> Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:
> >>> KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
> >>> it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.
> >>>
> >>> Any idea why this is?
> >>
> >> It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
> >> put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in
> >> preparation, then simply unmask them on the day of release
> >
> > That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user has
> > to mask stuff.
> >
> > In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
> > time, I'd say.
>
> Happened again. The 4.6 RC2 tarballs is not available yet, but it's not
> masked anyway.
>
> It would be awesome if the kde guys could mask the stuff, since it's a
> lot of packages to mask by hand and it totally breaks emerge -u world.

It is masked, check your /etc/portage/package.unmask

# eix kde-meta
[i] kde-base/kde-meta
Available versions:
(4.4) 4.4.5
(4.5) (~)4.5.3{tbz2} (~)4.5.4{tbz2} [M](~)4.5.5[1] **4.5.9999[1]
(4.6) [M](~)4.5.90[1] [M](~)4.5.95[1] [M]**4.6.9999[1]
(live) **9999{tbz2}[1]
{accessibility aqua kdeprefix nls sdk semantic-desktop}
Installed versions: 4.5.4(4.5){tbz2}(01:36:13 PM 12/10/2010)(nls
semantic-desktop -accessibility -aqua -kdeprefix -sdk)
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
Description: KDE - merge this to pull in all split kde-base/*
packages

[1] "kde" /home/tampakrap/Source_Code/gentoo/kde
--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
Gentoo KDE/Qt, Planet, Overlays
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Marián Kyral
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
Od: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de>
Předmět: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing
Datum: 05.1.2011 16:22:02
----------------------------------------
On 12/07/2010 09:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:
>>
>>> KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
>>> it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.
>>>
>>> Any idea why this is?
>>
>> It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
>> put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in preparation,
>> then simply unmask them on the day of release
>
> That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user has
> to mask stuff.
>
> In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
> time, I'd say.

Happened again. The 4.6 RC2 tarballs is not available yet, but it's not
masked anyway.

It would be awesome if the kde guys could mask the stuff, since it's a
lot of packages to mask by hand and it totally breaks emerge -u world.


Hi,
you should try the "--keep-going" emerge option.

And then you can make it default by putting line below to /etc/make.conf
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"

Regards,
Marián
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

On 01/05/2011 05:23 PM, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 17:10:53 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 12/07/2010 09:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:

KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot emerge
it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.

Any idea why this is?


It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in
preparation, then simply unmask them on the day of release


That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user has
to mask stuff.

In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
time, I'd say.


Happened again. The 4.6 RC2 tarballs is not available yet, but it's not
masked anyway.

It would be awesome if the kde guys could mask the stuff, since it's a
lot of packages to mask by hand and it totally breaks emerge -u world.


It is masked, check your /etc/portage/package.unmask


So is 4.5.90. What I mean is, we unmasked 4.5.90 using the provided
unmask file. However, that file unmasks the 4.6 slot. So we get
problems with 4.5.95 which also gets unmasked.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing

On 01/05/2011 05:32 PM, Marián Kyral wrote:

------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
Od: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de>
Předmět: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE 4.5.4 distfiles missing
Datum: 05.1.2011 16:22:02
----------------------------------------
On 12/07/2010 09:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 05:19 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:49:36 +0100 as excerpted:
>>
>>> KDE 4.5.4 is in the kde overlay for some days now. But I cannot
emerge
>>> it because all *-4.5.4.tar.bz2 distfiles are missing on the servers.
>>>
>>> Any idea why this is?
>>
>> It hasn't actually been released upstream, yet. Normally, the kde team
>> put a mask in the overlay before they add the new ebuilds in
preparation,
>> then simply unmask them on the day of release
>
> That is actually not what happens most of the time. Usually the user
has
> to mask stuff.
>
> In rare cases, the overlay masks the packages properly. About 20% of
> time, I'd say.

Happened again. The 4.6 RC2 tarballs is not available yet, but it's
not masked anyway.

It would be awesome if the kde guys could mask the stuff, since it's a
lot of packages to mask by hand and it totally breaks emerge -u world.


Hi,
you should try the "--keep-going" emerge option.

And then you can make it default by putting line below to /etc/make.conf
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"


No that's too messy. You have to watch for packages that don't have
tarballs, like kde-env which will break KDE if installed.


I created a custom unmask file to solve the issue. But it would be
better if there was a 4.5.90-specific unmask file to begin with.


In the end, it's not a very big deal. Just a major annoyance :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org