-   Gentoo Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/)
-   -   KDE and GTK themes (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-desktop/440183-kde-gtk-themes.html)

Coert Waagmeester 10-15-2010 11:56 AM

KDE and GTK themes

Hello all,

How can I get a nice theme on firefox (and other gnome gtk apps) when I
use KDE?

I have installed the gtk qtcurve package.

Regards,
Coert

Nikos Chantziaras 10-15-2010 12:15 PM

KDE and GTK themes

On 10/15/2010 02:56 PM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:

Hello all,

How can I get a nice theme on firefox (and other gnome gtk apps) when I
use KDE?

I have installed the gtk qtcurve package.

Also install kde-misc/kcm_gtk. This will give you a new configuration
option in System Settings (either in "Application Appearance" or in
"Lost and Found" if you're on KDE 4.5.2) where you can configure Gtk.

In order to configure QtCurve itself though, you will also have to
install x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4, and switch KDE from Oxygen to that,
configure it (this also configures the Gtk version) and then switch back
to Oxygen (the Gtk configuration of QtCurve will be kept.)

Duncan 10-23-2010 11:08 PM

KDE and GTK themes

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:15:57 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 10/15/2010 02:56 PM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> How can I get a nice theme on firefox (and other gnome gtk apps) when I
>> use KDE?
>>
>> I have installed the gtk qtcurve package.
>
> Also install kde-misc/kcm_gtk. This will give you a new configuration
> option in System Settings (either in "Application Appearance" or in
> "Lost and Found" if you're on KDE 4.5.2) where you can configure Gtk.
>
> In order to configure QtCurve itself though, you will also have to
> install x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4, and switch KDE from Oxygen to that,
> configure it (this also configures the Gtk version) and then switch back
> to Oxygen (the Gtk configuration of QtCurve will be kept.)

Of course, firefox, at least recent versions, has its own themes. AFAIK
theming was built-in from firefox 3.6, and I've been using those.

Meanwhile, instead of going the qt-curve or whatever route, here, I
configure the colors in kde, and ensure that the checkbox is checked, to
apply those to non-kde apps. That takes care of most of it, altho it does
depend on how you launch the app whether the kde controlled theme is in
the environment for the gtk app, or not. Launching from, say, konsole,
doesn't seem to get it included by default, but if you put something like

export GTK@_RC_FILES="/home/user/.kde/share/config/gtkrc-2.0"

(adjust the path as necessary) either in a wrapper script (as I do for
pan, since I have a wrapper for it for other reasons), or in your .bashrc
or the like, then it should work even when launching from konsole, etc.

I think I hand-edited the file to get the font sizes, etc, but it has been
awhile, so I don't know if kde or my hand edits are controlling it now...

Nikos Chantziaras 01-21-2011 11:09 PM

KDE and GTK themes

How can I get a nice theme on firefox (and other gnome gtk apps) when I
use KDE?

I have installed the gtk qtcurve package.

Also install kde-misc/kcm_gtk. This will give you a new configuration
option in System Settings (either in "Application Appearance" or in
"Lost and Found" if you're on KDE 4.5.2) where you can configure Gtk.

In order to configure QtCurve itself though, you will also have to
install x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4, and switch KDE from Oxygen to that,
configure it (this also configures the Gtk version) and then switch back
to Oxygen (the Gtk configuration of QtCurve will be kept.)

Oxygen has now been ported mostly correctly to Gtk and is in portage.
Simply emerge "x11-themes/oxygen-gtk" and select "oxygen-gtk" System
Settings (if you have kde-misc/kcm_gtk installed). The good thing about
this is that it's not "just a theme" with static pixmaps and colors, but
actually honors the Oxygen settings from KDE.

This is GIMP running with it:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2n7eazr.png