Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Jens Rutschmann

Default No /usr/bin/kxkb in KDE 4.5

Hi all,

I recently updated to KDE 4.5 (from 3.5.10) and now I'm facing several small problems while trying to get my environment
back.

One problem seems to be that /usr/bin/kxkb is no longer installed with the systemsettings package. And I cannot select
"evdev-driven keyboard" in the keyboard layout settings in systemsettings / kcontrol.

Also the "keyboard service" or whatever it is called in english cannot be started in the "system services" section. When
I try to start it manually it complains about "kxkb" being missing.

Does anyone know what package contains kxkb in 4.5 ? On another machine I still have have 4.4 installed and there it is
installed with the systemsettings package.

Thanks,
Jens

Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Jens Rutschmann
<Jens.Rutschmann@gmx.info> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently updated to KDE 4.5 (from 3.5.10) and now I'm facing several small
> problems while trying to get my environment back.
>
> One problem seems to be that /usr/bin/kxkb is no longer installed with the
> systemsettings package. And I cannot select "evdev-driven keyboard" in the
> keyboard layout settings in systemsettings / kcontrol.
>
> Also the "keyboard service" or whatever it is called in english cannot be
> started in the "system services" section. When I try to start it manually it
> complains about "kxkb" being missing.
>
> Does anyone know what package contains kxkb in 4.5 ? On another machine I
> still have have 4.4 installed and there it is installed with the
> systemsettings package.

Starting with KDE 4.5.0 "keyboard" & "kxkb" modules were merged into a
new kcm_keyboard service. It is part of kde-base/systemsettings

From the readme "This is new project to replace keyboard (kcmmisc) and
kxkb to manage keyboard harware configuration and layouts."

Sorry I don't have any more info than that.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Jens Rutschmann

[...]

From the readme "This is new project to replace keyboard (kcmmisc) and
kxkb to manage keyboard harware configuration and layouts."

Sorry I don't have any more info than that.

Well it helped anyway. When I was looking for this readme you mentioned I had a look at the source code and found that
~/.Xmodmap was parsed but /etc/X11/Xmodmap was not.
Since I only had a script in KDE's autostart directory that applied the system Xmodmap, everytime I suspended the
machine the modifications were gone after resume (input hotplug issue I guess). Now I copied the the file into my home
folder and it is applying it automatically during resume.

Now I only wonder why that keyboard layout list doesn't contain the "Evdev driven keyboard" entry.

Btw. I updated KDE to 4.5.2 today and now KDE's "keyboard service" is runnung ...

So thanks again!
Jens