Old 09-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Ladislav Laska

Default KDE/Trinity 3.5.12 inside or outside sunset

Hello,

I'd like to ask, what do you think of trinity project? The 3.5.12
release is relatively near and I'd like to start discussion wether to
incorporate it into sunset, or develop it in separate overlay.

I originally intended to do it in sunset, but now I'm not sure. The
development seems to be pretty serious and maybe it won't be sunset
anymore - I'd say we should create something like kde-resurrection.
:-)

What do you think?

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---
xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska@jabber.cz

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Serghei Amelian

On Monday 20 September 2010 17:43:31 Ladislav Laska wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask, what do you think of trinity project? The 3.5.12
> release is relatively near and I'd like to start discussion wether to
> incorporate it into sunset, or develop it in separate overlay.
>
> I originally intended to do it in sunset, but now I'm not sure. The
> development seems to be pretty serious and maybe it won't be sunset
> anymore - I'd say we should create something like kde-resurrection.
>
> :-)
>
> What do you think?

As I understand, Tim Pearson start rebranding KDE3 to Trinity (TDE) (because
this is not anymore KDE e.v.'s project). So, I think we can chose
name "trinity" or just "tde". So, KDE3 is dead, long live TDE

--
Serghei

Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Ladislav Laska

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I'm also thinking we could make all
"original" ebuilds stable and TDE releases sort out by ~, at least for
now.

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Roman

Hi,

+1 for that.

I think it would be too confusing if we add another overlay.
Why not put TDE (are we calling it TDE now?) ~ or mask it via package.mask
until we have a working (possibly not bug-free) version?

On Tuesday 21 September 2010 10:07:52 Ladislav Laska wrote:
> Yes, that's what I was thinking. I'm also thinking we could make all
> "original" ebuilds stable and TDE releases sort out by ~, at least for
> now.
>

> Regards Ladislav Laska
> S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
> ---
> xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska@jabber.cz
>
> 2010/9/20 "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <xificurk@gmail.com>:
> > Personally, I don't see much point in creating a new overlay since it
> > would be most probably used by the same users as kde-sunset. We can
> > still keep old ebuilds of latest official KDE3 packages there and in the
> > same time add "new" releases of TDE.
> >
> > Petr
> >
> > Ladislav Laska napsal(a):
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'd like to ask, what do you think of trinity project? The 3.5.12
> >> release is relatively near and I'd like to start discussion wether to
> >> incorporate it into sunset, or develop it in separate overlay.
> >>
> >> I originally intended to do it in sunset, but now I'm not sure. The
> >> development seems to be pretty serious and maybe it won't be sunset
> >> anymore - I'd say we should create something like kde-resurrection.
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Regards Ladislav Laska
> >> S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
> >> ---
> >> xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska@jabber.cz

greetings,
Roman
--
And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy
on us.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Ladislav Laska

It should definitely be hardmasked until it's complete. When the time
comes and trinity will be ready, we shall unmask it and let users
upgrade.

Anyone who wishes not to, could easily mask it back, since all trinity
ebuilds will be clearly higher version. We should also create a list
in documentation for this purpose (don't want to push users to
upgrade, since some of them are using 3.5.10 and may not want a
change).

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Ladislav Laska

As you may have noticed, there is another thread and some of current
developers have suggested new overlay.

I personally am not really decided what would be best. Addint it to
current overlay does have its benefits - easy update and so on. But
having overlay just for trinity gives better options for new users -
they could install clean trinity, without third-party stuff (well, at
least without unmaintained stuff). I'd imagine there are many tools
noone uses.

Well, I'd go for an overlay, but since we don't have a leader (don't
we?) or some position like that, I feel like I shouldn't make an
decision myself, so should we take a vote or something? :-)

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---
xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska@jabber.cz

Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Roman

Hi!

Since i haven't seen any reply since the 21st and 3.5.12 about to be released
today, i'd say let's take a vote!

After reading the arguments, i have to rechoice and feel a new clean + frsh
overlay could be be beneficial.

Also i think it would be good idea to start with clean ebuilds, without any
(gentoo-sepcific) patches, if they are not needed for a working copy of
trinity. This can be added later on..

greetings,
Roman
--
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
-- Merrick Furst

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Ladislav Laska

Hello,

I have to agree, clean overlay would be better.

It would be really bad idea to apply patches to trinity, when we can
push them into trinity (if they're general enough). Anyway, many
things have changes, so I suppose they will be mostly outdated.

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---