Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
YoYo siska

Default How to set per-device mouse sensitivity : Revisited !

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 08:36:32PM +0200, Mickael Chazaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again, I hit in the whizzingly fast mouse problem with Xorg. With my
> previous release of Xorg (1.7.6) I solved this using a hal FDI file.
> Here is the link fore reference :
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/desktop/207830
>
> The solution was to merge this XML fragment in HAL :

> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <device>
> <match key="info.product" contains="Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse">
> <merge key="input.x11_options.ConstantDeceleration" type="string">2</merge>
> <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationProfile" type="string">-1</merge>
> </match>
> </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> in order to set the options ConstantDeceleration and
> AccelerationProfile to sane values.
>
> Today I tried Xorg 1.8.0, and I added this content to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf :
>
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "My mouse"
> MatchProduct "Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse"
> Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
> Option "ConstantDeceleration" "10"
> EndSection
>
> In Xorg log (Xorg -retro -verbose 10 2>log) I see :
>
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
> (/dev/input/event12)
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Applying InputClass "My mouse"
> <<<<<<<<<<<
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: always reports core events
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event12"
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found 12 mouse buttons
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found relative axes
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Configuring as mouse
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
> EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Bluetooth Laser Travel
> Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
> (/dev/input/mouse2)
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Applying InputClass "My mouse"
> (EE) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
>
> So I assume my options are merged in the configuration. But it has no
> effect. What can be wrong ?

just guessing, maybe it is the last error (no driver...ignoring...)?
have you tried adding explicit Driver "evdev"?

yoyo

Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Duncan

YoYo siska posted on Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:34:38 +0200 as excerpted:

> just guessing, maybe it is the last error (no driver...ignoring...)?
> have you tried adding explicit Driver "evdev"?

Note that that error is on the /dev/input/mouseX devicefile. The
/dev/input/eventX devicefile gets the evdev driver, as logged. (Both
devicefiles match the mouse in question, as they're two separate virtual
drivers at the kernel level, exported as two separate devicefiles, but
driven by the same physical device, the one in question. I see the same
thing here with a system functioning as expected. But people running the
gpm text console mouse driver can't turn off the legacy mouseX driver, as
gpm has to have it as it's apparently not evdev compatible, yet. If it
was, things would be simpler as the mousedev driver could be configured
out of the kernel entirely, leaving only evdev.)

Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
YoYo siska

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:37:49PM +0200, Mickael Chazaux wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Sorry for the noise, I found a solution.
>
> The installed x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev was 2.3.2 (currently
> stable). After installing xorg 1.8.0, I just rebuilt it as
> recommended.
> I just tried the 2.4.0, currently ~amd64, and the settings apply.
>
> Here is the final config file :
>
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "nomouse"
> MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
> Option "Ignore" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "My mouse"
> MatchProduct "Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse"
> MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event12"
> Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
> Option "ConstantDeceleration" "10"
> EndSection
>
> (yes, in a separated file this time (for a quick hack, I used first
> the file I known parsed by Xorg ;-) )
>
> And the relevant part of the log ( Xorg :1 -retro -verbose 5 2>log ):
>
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
> (/dev/input/event12)
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Applying InputClass "My mouse"
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: always reports core events
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event12"
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found 12 mouse buttons
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found relative axes
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Configuring as mouse
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
> EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Bluetooth Laser Travel
> Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
> (**) Option "ConstantDeceleration" "10"
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: (accel) constant deceleration by 10.0
> (**) Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile -1
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
> (II) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
> (/dev/input/mouse2)
> (**) Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse: Ignoring device from InputClass "nomouse"
>
> We can see the settings are applied.
>
> Another question is : I have to be root to edit this file. Is it
> possible to put some settings under $HOME?
> I have to be root to change the mouse sensitivity setting, and as I
> can't bear fast mice, some people like them.

No, as far as I know. But you can use xinput to modify it on runtime (though
it's harder to make it just work this way when you plug in/connect your
mouse). If it is your "personal" preference, you should set it up in your X session,
not a global X configuration... xorg.conf and other are global configuration
for all users. X server starts up before you log in to your session, so it would not
know which user's config to load.

yoyo@tabletka ~ $ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Serial Tablet PC Pen Tablet/Digitizer id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Serial Tablet PC Pen Tablet/Digitizer eraser id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
yoyo@tabletka ~ $ xinput list-props 14
Device 'Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse':
Device Enabled (145): 1
Device Accel Profile (264): 0
Device Accel Constant Deceleration (265): 1.000000
Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (267): 1.000000
Device Accel Velocity Scaling (268): 10.000000
yoyo@tabletka ~ $ xinput set-float-prop "Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 3.0

yoyo