Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Theo Chatzimichos

Default change kde-meta to include developer profiles

In February's KDE meeting I raised the issue that kde-meta (and accordingly
@kde-* sets) don't include all KDE modules [1]. kde-meta excludes developer
modules (well, at least it should, for some reason it includes kdewebdev).
Most KDE team members didn't want to me touch kde-meta any further, as
developer modules shouldn't be there because kde-meta is for general user
consumption, I propose the following:
remove kdewebdev from kde-meta
add developer or sdk flag in kde-meta, which will include kdebindings, kdesdk
and kdewebdev modules.
Another option is to have another meta package (something like kdefull-meta),
which I hated.
Your feedback is welcome.
--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
Gentoo KDE Team

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Dale

In February's KDE meeting I raised the issue that kde-meta (and accordingly
@kde-* sets) don't include all KDE modules [1]. kde-meta excludes developer
modules (well, at least it should, for some reason it includes kdewebdev).
Most KDE team members didn't want to me touch kde-meta any further, as
developer modules shouldn't be there because kde-meta is for general user
consumption, I propose the following:
remove kdewebdev from kde-meta
add developer or sdk flag in kde-meta, which will include kdebindings, kdesdk
and kdewebdev modules.
Another option is to have another meta package (something like kdefull-meta),
which I hated.
Your feedback is welcome.

I use kde-meta and admit I wouldn't want the developer stuff installed
since I am not a dev. Maybe have a kdedev-meta. Then a developer could
install both kde-meta and kdedev-meta, or just kdedev-meta, to get the
developer stuff.

Basically, if I am a developer I would emerge kdedev-meta to get the
whole shabang. Maybe set kdedev-meta to pull in kde-meta as well. I
would think that with dev in the name, most people would know that is
not a user area as well. kdefull-meta could mislead someone.

Just a thought.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Mariusz Pekala

> > [..]
> > Most KDE team members didn't want to me touch kde-meta any further, as
> > developer modules shouldn't be there because kde-meta is for general user
> > consumption, I propose the following:
> > remove kdewebdev from kde-meta
> > add developer or sdk flag in kde-meta, which will include kdebindings, kdesdk
> > and kdewebdev modules.
> > Another option is to have another meta package (something like kdefull-meta),
> > which I hated.
> > Your feedback is welcome.

> I use kde-meta and admit I wouldn't want the developer stuff installed
> since I am not a dev. Maybe have a kdedev-meta. Then a developer could
> install both kde-meta and kdedev-meta, or just kdedev-meta, to get the
> developer stuff.
>
> Basically, if I am a developer I would emerge kdedev-meta to get the
> whole shabang. Maybe set kdedev-meta to pull in kde-meta as well. I
> would think that with dev in the name, most people would know that is
> not a user area as well. kdefull-meta could mislead someone.

I am a developer, and I like the idea of 'sdk' use flag.

It hit me once, that after emerging kde-meta I was missing some packages.
I was expecting that kde-meta would fetch me all the kde programs.

Now I know the description says "KDE - merge this to pull in all
non-developer packages", but it would be _so_ _easier_ to
make kde-meta pull kdesdk-meta, when the 'sdk' use flag is set.