Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Duncan

Default kdnssd-avahi fails to compile.

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:34:10 -0600 as excerpted:

> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>> Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:52:51 -0600 as excerpted:

>>> This doesn't appear to survive a sync. Where can I put this that is
>>> more permanent?

>> According to the portage manpage, /etc/portage/profile/

> Actually that file was already there. It had -arts in it so I added
> -qt3. Do I put them all on one line or does each one have to have its
> own line? Right now, I have -arts -qt3 on one line.

RTFM (read the "friendly" manpage). There's a reason I mentioned it and
this is the Gentoo distribution, not HoldMyHandPapa. =:^)

Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Dale

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:34:10 -0600 as excerpted:

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:52:51 -0600 as excerpted:

echo "-qt3">> /etc/make.profile/use.mask

This doesn't appear to survive a sync. Where can I put this that is
more permanent?

According to the portage manpage, /etc/portage/profile/

Actually that file was already there. It had -arts in it so I added
-qt3. Do I put them all on one line or does each one have to have its
own line? Right now, I have -arts -qt3 on one line.

RTFM (read the "friendly" manpage). There's a reason I mentioned it and
this is the Gentoo distribution, not HoldMyHandPapa. =:^)

Sometimes the man page only serves to confuse me more. Now after I get
the command, I get it. I ran into the same thing with xset a bit ago.
I couldn't figure out how to get it to accept what I wanted so I
searched around until I found some examples. After I saw the examples,
it made sense. xset dpms 3600 3600 3600 all on one line. Who'd have
thunk it?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Dale

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:34:10 -0600 as excerpted:

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:52:51 -0600 as excerpted:

echo "-qt3">> /etc/make.profile/use.mask

This doesn't appear to survive a sync. Where can I put this that is
more permanent?

According to the portage manpage, /etc/portage/profile/

Actually that file was already there. It had -arts in it so I added
-qt3. Do I put them all on one line or does each one have to have its
own line? Right now, I have -arts -qt3 on one line.

RTFM (read the "friendly" manpage). There's a reason I mentioned it and
this is the Gentoo distribution, not HoldMyHandPapa. =:^)

I read the man page but it still didn't answer the question. So, I
synced again and ran the update command. It wanted to remove qt3 again
so I put -qt3 on its own line. It seems to like being one line for each
USE flag.

Most of the time man pages only serve to confuse me. If it contains a
lot of examples, that helps a lot more than anything else. Otherwise I
have to ask or just take the chance of messing something up and trying
things until I get lucky.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Duncan

Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:49:55 -0600 as excerpted:

> Sometimes the man page only serves to confuse me more. Now after I get
> the command, I get it. I ran into the same thing with xset a bit ago. I
> couldn't figure out how to get it to accept what I wanted so I searched
> around until I found some examples. After I saw the examples, it made
> sense. xset dpms 3600 3600 3600 all on one line. Who'd have thunk it?

Quote from the manpage:

use.mask
[snip description]

Format:
- comments begin with # (no inline comments)
- one USE flag per line

end quote.

You find "one USE flag per line" confusing? <shrug> =:^)

BTW, depending on your chosen pager app, the / key can often be used to
invoke a search. I believe it works that way with the default less, and
it definitely works that way with the "most" command that I use as my
pager, after seeing someone describe how much better than less it was
(color for emphasis, etc). "most" is its own emergable package. You can
then set it as your default pager by putting this in your .bashrc or the
like:

export PAGER=most

So all I did is "man portage", then /use.mask, then hit "n" a few times to
go to the next "hit" for that search. After using that to search and find
the appropriate part of the manpage, the format section was easily
spotted, containing just the answer to your question. =:^)

(BTW, I expect you know this from the various threads we've both been
involved in on the kde lists, but other readers might not. I wasn't
trying to be rude, simply give you a playful nudge in the right
direction. I hope it was taken in that spirit. =:^)

Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Dale

[...]

When I looked using Konsole, I didn't see that part. I used Konqueror
and found it with the search function. I did find another section so I
may have been reading the wrong thing.

I took the nudge the way it was intended. I learned a long time ago to
try to see things in a positive light until sure it is not intended that
way. Trying to put things into text is not easy. Heck, if we were face
to face talking it is hard enough. ;-) It just seems that seeing
examples is the best way for me to learn.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM
stosss

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>>
>> Dale posted on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:49:55 -0600 as excerpted:
>>

>>> Sometimes the man page only serves to confuse me more. *Now after I get
>>> the command, I get it. *I ran into the same thing with xset a bit ago. I
>>> couldn't figure out how to get it to accept what I wanted so I searched
>>> around until I found some examples. *After I saw the examples, it made
>>> sense. *xset dpms 3600 3600 3600 all on one line. *Who'd have thunk it?
>>>

>> Quote from the manpage:
>>
>> * * * *use.mask
>> * * * * * * * *[snip description]
>>
>> * * * * * * * * Format:
>> * * * * * * * * * * *- comments begin with # (no inline comments)
>> * * * * * * * * * * *- one USE flag per line
>>
>> end quote.
>>
>> You find "one USE flag per line" confusing?<shrug> *=:^)
>>
>> BTW, depending on your chosen pager app, the / key can often be used to
>> invoke a search. *I believe it works that way with the default less, and
>> it definitely works that way with the "most" command that I use as my
>> pager, after seeing someone describe how much better than less it was
>> (color for emphasis, etc). *"most" is its own emergable package. *You can
>> then set it as your default pager by putting this in your .bashrc or the
>> like:
>>
>> export PAGER=most
>>
>> So all I did is "man portage", then /use.mask, then hit "n" a few times to
>> go to the next "hit" for that search. *After using that to search and find
>> the appropriate part of the manpage, the format section was easily
>> spotted, containing just the answer to your question. =:^)
>>
>> (BTW, I expect you know this from the various threads we've both been
>> involved in on the kde lists, but other readers might not. *I wasn't
>> trying to be rude, simply give you a playful nudge in the right
>> direction. *I hope it was taken in that spirit. =:^)
>>

> When I looked using Konsole, I didn't see that part. *I used Konqueror and
> found it with the search function. *I did find another section so I may have
> been reading the wrong thing.
>
> I took the nudge the way it was intended. *I learned a long time ago to try
> to see things in a positive light until sure it is not intended that way.
> *Trying to put things into text is not easy. *Heck, if we were face to face
> talking it is hard enough. *;-) *It just seems that seeing examples is the
> best way for me to learn.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) *:-)

Dale, I am with you on examples and the manpages.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Dale

Dale, I am with you on examples and the manpages.

Check out the man page for smartctl. Almost to the bottom. Lots of
examples. That one is easy to figure out. Heck, they most likely have
what the average user needs in the examples. If not, it makes it a lot
easier to figure out.

I wish more were like that.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Chris Bandy <cbandy@jbandy.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:

> I think this should be done in /etc/portage/profile/ if it works as
> described in man 5 portage.

Oops, you're right. I couldn't remember exactly where it went, so I
googled it... and apparently the blog in the google results has the
bad info, too. In fact, looking at it again, someone corrected the
author in the blog's comments which I didn't read the first time.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Duncan

Dale posted on Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:14:50 -0600 as excerpted:

> I learned a long time ago to
> try to see things in a positive light until sure it is not intended that
> way. Trying to put things into text is not easy. Heck, if we were face
> to face talking it is hard enough. ;-)

This is going OT but it's worth talking about once in awhile...

I too learned quite some time ago to presume positive until there's no
other way to take it. Even if it was actually meant in a bad way, what's
the harm in innocently not responding in kind? Surely far less than in
ignorantly jumping to negative conclusions!

How I wish that was something everybody practiced! Not just for me, but
for example, I follow the gentoo-dev list and way too often see needless
misunderstandings there, simply because somebody took something the wrong
way. The issue is often compounded by cross-cultural boundaries and
differences in interpretation, etc. Yeah, we need to be sensitive to that
if we know about it, but some things just can't be known before you
stumble into them! =:^(

So then sometimes I jump in and try to smooth things over... Mixed
results, but if it helps sometimes, it's gotta be worth trying!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Dale

[...]

Yep, someone has to step on my toes several times before I remove the
positive view glasses. Even then, I try to be nice about it. That part
can be difficult tho.

Dale

:-) :-)