Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Mickael Chazaux

Default Question : How to set per-device mouse sensitivity

Hi,

I understood what went wrong.

>> So I tried to put this in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/bt-mouse-speed.fdi :
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>> * <device>
>> * * * * <match key="info.product" string="Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse">
>> * * * * * * * *<merge key="input.x11_options.Sensitivity"
>> type="string">0.1</merge>
>> * * * * </match>
>> * * </match>
>> * </device>
>> </deviceinfo>

This XML fragment is not valid : there is an extra </match>. That's
why HAL did not use it and drove me nuts for hours. FDI files may be
validated against /usr/share/hal/fdi/fdi.dtd

> Note that the hal default is evdev for both mice and keyboards. *See that
> input.x11_driver parameter? *evdev. *Yet you don't say anything about
> whether evdev has that same sensitivity parameter.

I did not realized until your last message that data put in fdi files
is reported by lshal... It helps a lot!

> Checking the evdev manpage, I don't see anything like that, BUT...
>
> Checking the xorg.conf manpage, InputDevice section, I see the
> "ConstantDeceleration" option. *That looks to be what you want.

Yes ! ;-)

> Then, as you were already doing above, you can use an x11_options based
> key in your *.fdi.

That's what I did, and it works well. Here is the fdi file I finally wrote :

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.product" contains="Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse">
<merge key="input.x11_options.ConstantDeceleration"
type="string">2</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationProfile"
type="string">-1</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Trap : Mouse speed decreases when ConstantDeceleration increases.

Thank you for your useful and fast reply,

Mickael

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Duncan

Mickael Chazaux posted on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:56:23 +0100 as excerpted:

> This XML fragment is not valid : there is an extra </match>. That's why
> HAL did not use it and drove me nuts for hours. FDI files may be
> validated against /usr/share/hal/fdi/fdi.dtd

Hmm. I didn't spot that. Thanks for reminding me to look for those.

Looks like between what I spotted, tho, and that, you have it working
now. =:^) Thanks for the fix report.

I had set some special settings for the keyboard on my desktop, but I
hadn't tried anything for the mouse, at least not with evdev. On my
netbook I have the syntouch driver loaded, and I had done some *.fdi
editing for it, but that's not evdev mice. I had thought about trying to
create an fdi file to set separate accel for a usb mouse plugged into the
netbook, but hadn't actually tried it yet. So now you've confirmed that
it should work with separate settings for each mouse device, giving me
that info to use if I decide to try it here.

So the help went both ways, and I can thank you too. =:^)