Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Ben de Groot

Default Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME

2009/10/24 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@gmail.com>:
> Hi there!
>
> Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking place 22
> Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available soon), having Gentoo
> GNOME team representative, it's been decided to go ahead with splitting
> desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, to avoid bloat and provide desktop
> specific separation which should result in desktop subprofiles being actually
> practical.
> It's been proposed to:
>
> - keep 'desktop' profile but strip it from any desktop specific features and
> settings, making it default recommended choice for anyone using non-KDE and
> non-GNOME desktop environment, yet avoiding USE flags bloat. Any other DE is
> free to join and create own DE-specific subprofile if needed.
>
> - create 'KDE' (or 'kde') and 'GNOME' (or 'gnome') subprofiles within
> 'desktop' profile and move any desktop specific things there. This should in
> theory allow us to not add 'recommended' IUSE defaults to desktop specific
> packages, but keep those settings in profile - making profile effectively 'out
> of the box' solution for those who need it.
>
> If you have any comments, suggestions, important notices regarding this
> change, please keep discussion in gentoo-desktop mailing list.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> regards
> MM

Three months later... Why has this not been implemented yet?

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Theo Chatzimichos

On Friday 22 January 2010 18:15:49 Ben de Groot wrote:
> 2009/10/24 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@gmail.com>:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking
> > place 22 Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available soon),
> > having Gentoo GNOME team representative, it's been decided to go ahead
> > with splitting desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, to avoid
> > bloat and provide desktop specific separation which should result in
> > desktop subprofiles being actually practical.
> > It's been proposed to:
> >
> > - keep 'desktop' profile but strip it from any desktop specific features
> > and settings, making it default recommended choice for anyone using
> > non-KDE and non-GNOME desktop environment, yet avoiding USE flags bloat.
> > Any other DE is free to join and create own DE-specific subprofile if
> > needed.
> >
> > - create 'KDE' (or 'kde') and 'GNOME' (or 'gnome') subprofiles within
> > 'desktop' profile and move any desktop specific things there. This should
> > in theory allow us to not add 'recommended' IUSE defaults to desktop
> > specific packages, but keep those settings in profile - making profile
> > effectively 'out of the box' solution for those who need it.
> >
> > If you have any comments, suggestions, important notices regarding this
> > change, please keep discussion in gentoo-desktop mailing list.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > regards
> > MM
>
> Three months later... Why has this not been implemented yet?
>
> Cheers,

Just for the record, I will do this tomorrow. Thanks

--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
Gentoo KDE Team

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM