Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Bryan Green

Default to policykit or not to policykit

Hi,

I'm about to emerge gnome on a new system, and I'm wondering what the
implications would be of enabling the 'policykit' use-flag. I don't know
much about policykit. I don't think I really want to, at least not right
away. If it makes gnome more functional in some way, with default settings,
then I'll go for it. If it's going to be a headache, then nevermind. Is it
worth enabling?

Thanks,
-bryan

Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Bryan Green <bryan.d.green@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to emerge gnome on a new system, and I'm wondering what the
> implications would be of enabling the 'policykit' use-flag. *I don't know
> much about policykit. *I don't think I really want to, at least not right
> away. *If it makes gnome more functional in some way, with default settings,
> then I'll go for it. *If it's going to be a headache, then nevermind. *Is it
> worth enabling?

You can easily live without it, but is kinda neat. For example, the
new NetworkManager with PolicyKit allows you to share the wireless
connection system wide, not per user like it was before. You can do
the same without PolicyKit (or NetworkManager, for what it matters),
but is nice that it works automagically and with a pretty GUI.

If you use your computer as a desktop, I think you should enable the
policykit flag. I certainly have had no problems whatsoever with it.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas