Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Default gentoo KVM images now available :)

Hello

I've created some KVM images to aid Gentoo Developers and
the KDE herd in ebuild development and maintainance.

Two images are currently available: [1]
an X-less ~x86 with various tools preinstalled [like layman]
and
a copy of the first ~x86 with kdebase-meta[kdeprefix] and a
few other packages installed on top of it

The portage tree is in a separate image, along with binary
packages of most stuff installed in the two images.
(a bz2 of the tree is in /usr just in case)

The images are available at dev.gentooexperimental.org [1].
Please read the README [2] for instructions and more information

An image with -kdeprefix kde is also en route.

I would really appreciate feedback on the images:
* things you liked
* things missing
* things you'd do differently
either through these mailing lists or in freenode/#gentoo-kde
so I can make future revisions better and more useful!

Regards,
Alex Alexander (wired)
Gentoo KDE Team Herd Tester

[1] http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~wired/kvm/
[2] http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~wired/kvm/README.txt

Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 15:53 Fri 13 Mar , alex.alexander@gmail.com wrote:
> I've created some KVM images to aid Gentoo Developers and
> the KDE herd in ebuild development and maintainance.

> I would really appreciate feedback on the images:
> * things you liked
> * things missing
> * things you'd do differently
> either through these mailing lists or in freenode/#gentoo-kde
> so I can make future revisions better and more useful!

Cool! How did you make these? Can you make them with Catalyst?

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Dne pátek 13 Březen 2009 19:19:00 Donnie Berkholz napsal(a):
> Cool! How did you make these? Can you make them with Catalyst?
Actualy i think alex did them as normal gentoo instalation :]. But instead of
installing onto normal pc he installed into kvm image.

When i tried catalyst few months back it was quite broken for few cases it is
working fine nowdays? (No flame please i will be really happy to hear that
catalyst is nowdays robust and working as expected.)

Tomas

Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 07:22:05PM +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> When i tried catalyst few months back it was quite broken for few cases it is
> working fine nowdays? (No flame please i will be really happy to hear that
> catalyst is nowdays robust and working as expected.)
If you can break it while not feeding it garbage (GIGO applies
otherwise), then I think releng would like to hear from you, since it's
running near daily on some releng box for the autobuilds that have been
going out for a couple of months now.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy

Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Alex Alexander (wired)

Thomas nailed it, I created the clean one from scratch, then cp'd it and created the kde one on top of it.

More/updated images will pop up sooner or later too =]

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Jeremy Olexa

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM, <alex.alexander@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

Hi,
I already posted some initial images on tinderbox.

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/virtualization/amd64/

Some weeks old by now. But I am fairly confident that image building
can be made automatic via scripting. Granted, I did not make an
announcement of my latest images just the old ones[1], it is just a
pet project for me in its current state. It is extremely easy to make
a new image for others with the weekly automated builds now.

-Jeremy

[1]: http://blog.jolexa.net/2008/11/14/on-virtualization/