FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Alexey Shvetsov
 
Default KDE live ebuilds and the kdeprefix USE flag default

On Воскресенье 04 января 2009 20:14:57 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to raise this, and it should possibly be an issue we discuss at
> the next meeting. Should all live ebuilds default to +kdeprefix?
>
> Personally I think they should. Anyone wanting an all -kdeprefix system
> can set -kdeprefix in their make.conf, and those of us keeping a stable
> in -kdeprefix, and a live in +kdeprefix can continue to do this.
>
> When I originally committed the eclass changes to the default for live
> ebuilds this was the case. It was since changed without any discussion.
> I think the previous behaviour represents the most flexible approach for
> our user and development community.
>
> Is there a flaw in this logic? As far as I can see anyone wanting the
> current behaviour can add a line to their make.conf, the old behaviour
> is impossible to reproduce now without maintaining a patched
> kde4-base.eclass.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus
Personaly I think that all kde-base live ebuilds should be in +kdeprefix while
misc packages susch as amarok and so on could be both +kdeprefix and - kdeprefix
Also I think that misc packages could be installed with snapshots or even
stable kde
--
Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
Gentoo Team Ru
 
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
"Marcus D. Hanwell"
 
Default KDE live ebuilds and the kdeprefix USE flag default

Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
> On Воскресенье 04 января 2009 20:14:57 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to raise this, and it should possibly be an issue we discuss at
>> the next meeting. Should all live ebuilds default to +kdeprefix?
>>
>> Personally I think they should. Anyone wanting an all -kdeprefix system
>> can set -kdeprefix in their make.conf, and those of us keeping a stable
>> in -kdeprefix, and a live in +kdeprefix can continue to do this.
>>
>> When I originally committed the eclass changes to the default for live
>> ebuilds this was the case. It was since changed without any discussion.
>> I think the previous behaviour represents the most flexible approach for
>> our user and development community.
>>
>> Is there a flaw in this logic? As far as I can see anyone wanting the
>> current behaviour can add a line to their make.conf, the old behaviour
>> is impossible to reproduce now without maintaining a patched
>> kde4-base.eclass.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcus
>>
> Personaly I think that all kde-base live ebuilds should be in +kdeprefix while
> misc packages susch as amarok and so on could be both +kdeprefix and - kdeprefix
> Also I think that misc packages could be installed with snapshots or even
> stable kde
>
You didn't address the main question I was posing - should live ebuilds
of misc packages default to +kdeprefix? I think they should and see no
reason for not doing this. It allows people to maintain a live/stable
system using -/+kdeprefix respectively if they want to. If they want
everything installed in /usr they can explicitly set -kdeprefix.

You bring up several other points but I am not sure they all need
considering at the same time...

Thanks,

Marcus
 
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"
 
Default KDE live ebuilds and the kdeprefix USE flag default

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi.

Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
>> On Воскресенье 04 января 2009 20:14:57 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to raise this, and it should possibly be an issue we discuss at
>>> the next meeting. Should all live ebuilds default to +kdeprefix?
>>>
>>> Personally I think they should. Anyone wanting an all -kdeprefix system
>>> can set -kdeprefix in their make.conf, and those of us keeping a stable
>>> in -kdeprefix, and a live in +kdeprefix can continue to do this.
>>>
>>> When I originally committed the eclass changes to the default for live
>>> ebuilds this was the case. It was since changed without any discussion.
>>> I think the previous behaviour represents the most flexible approach for
>>> our user and development community.
>>>
>>> Is there a flaw in this logic? As far as I can see anyone wanting the
>>> current behaviour can add a line to their make.conf, the old behaviour
>>> is impossible to reproduce now without maintaining a patched
>>> kde4-base.eclass.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>
>> Personaly I think that all kde-base live ebuilds should be in +kdeprefix while
>> misc packages susch as amarok and so on could be both +kdeprefix and - kdeprefix
>> Also I think that misc packages could be installed with snapshots or even
>> stable kde
>>
> You didn't address the main question I was posing - should live ebuilds
> of misc packages default to +kdeprefix? I think they should and see no
> reason for not doing this. It allows people to maintain a live/stable
> system using -/+kdeprefix respectively if they want to. If they want
> everything installed in /usr they can explicitly set -kdeprefix.

I agree with cryos that all live ebuilds should be +kdeprefix. For all
those that think otherwise, I would like to hear how you plan to handle
the collisions with non-live ebuilds.

> You bring up several other points but I am not sure they all need
> considering at the same time...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus
>

- --
Regards,

Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAklhNSgACgkQcAWygvVEyAIpogCeIr9Lu2JQNL nZWcgxDdXzoVh/
XZAAmwX7DfI9EMtHjOzqkyi1eDrgZNrt
=nNjO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org