Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Lindsay Haisley

Default Mouseover on audio files

How do I get sound files to preview when I mouseover an icon? I have my
preferences set to "Preview sound files: -> Always" but when I mouseover
audio files they don't play. Doing a "ps auxw" with and without a
mouseover in progess shows no difference in the running processes, so my
guess is that something should be running that isn't.

Is this a GStreamer issue? Should gst-launch be running, and if so
shouldn't it auto-start when I log in to a gnome session? I looked at
the man page for gst-launch and it's a regular bear. There must be some
facility that manages it so that I don't have to do it myself.

This works on my Ubuntu-based laptop, and _used_ to work on my Gentoo
desktop, but hasn't worked for a while. It would be handy to get it
working again.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | Accredited
FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | by the

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Duncan

Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> posted
1221010295.23627.7.camel@vishnu.fmp.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 09 Sep
2008 20:31:35 -0500:

> How do I get sound files to preview when I mouseover an icon?

With KDE 3.5, you need USE=arts for media previews (including video),
even if you don't use the ARTS sound server. That hit me at one point
when I asked myself why I had USE=arts on when I wasn't using ARTS, and
tried turning it off for an upgrade.

I've no idea on GNOME or XFCE or whatever.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Daniel Gryniewicz

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:31 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> How do I get sound files to preview when I mouseover an icon? I have my
> preferences set to "Preview sound files: -> Always" but when I mouseover
> audio files they don't play. Doing a "ps auxw" with and without a
> mouseover in progess shows no difference in the running processes, so my
> guess is that something should be running that isn't.
>
> Is this a GStreamer issue? Should gst-launch be running, and if so
> shouldn't it auto-start when I log in to a gnome session? I looked at
> the man page for gst-launch and it's a regular bear. There must be some
> facility that manages it so that I don't have to do it myself.
>
> This works on my Ubuntu-based laptop, and _used_ to work on my Gentoo
> desktop, but hasn't worked for a while. It would be handy to get it
> working again.

For older nautilus (2.20 and older) you need the esd use flag. For
newer nautilus, if you don't have esd, it falls back on totem to play
them. Can totem play the files in question? Maybe you need specific
use flags on gst-plugins-meta for the files in question?

Dan

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Lindsay Haisley

Well when you can't find a scalpel, use an axe - or at least a paring
knife. I noted that I didn't have the USE=mp3 flag set in make.conf, so
I set it and re-emerged everything I could think of that might be
related, some of it being updated, too - nautilus, gstreamer, esound,
gst-plugins-*, and a number of other stuff got pulled into the emerge as
well.

The end result is that now I can mouseover on an mp3 file and get an
audio preview :-)

--
Lindsay Haisley | "We are all broken | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | toasters, but we | available at