Old 06-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Lindsay Haisley

Default Network access to a CUPS printer

I have an ancient and venerable HP Deskjet 1120C connected to LPT1 on my
desktop system running Gentoo. This printer is supported in CUPS, and
works properly (except for minor Gnome weirdness) from apps on the
immediate system - Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

I want to access this printer from other computers on our LAN, including
the Windows XP Pro system hosted on the same box using VMware.
According to
<http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_Native_Windows_Printing_with_CUPS/Samba> I should be able to do this without involving samba, assuming I can direct printing requests to the proper URI. Both Windows and Linux support configuring printers this way, rather than as CIFS shares, and since I don't need to upload drivers to the printer (the original drivers won't work in XP) all I really need to do is connect to the printer over the LAN as a raw device and use client-side drivers.

The documentation at
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#remote_usage> suggests
that I use one of the following for the printer URI on other systems:

* "ipp://hostname/printers/printername" which in my case would be
"ipp://vishnu.fmp.com/printers/hpdj_1120c (or I can substitute
the LAN IP address for the hostname)

* "http://hostname:631/ipp/queue" which appears to translate to
"http://vishnu.fmp.com:631/ipp/queue" with no specification for
the printer in the URI. Since the hpdj_1120c doesn't have a
queue specified in cups, I assume this URI should be used
literally.

Neither of these works on our LAN-connected Windows boxes and the
documentation I find on this is very sketchy. Windows doesn't
understand the "ipp" URI scheme, apparently, and I'm missing something
in second URI. Should I be substituting something for "queue"?

Anyone done this who can help me?

--
Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at

Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

[...]

I have a similar situation.* A CUPS printer that is also serving my WinXP system, without using Samba or a printer share.* There's a feature on the XP CDROM that you'll need.* If you don't have that, then this approach won't work.

You need WinXP Pro, I think, and must make CUPS export the LPT or LPD (I forget the exact nomenclature) interface.* It may already do this.
You're looking for "Print Services ro Unix", a feature that is not loaded by default.

From page 616 of my copy of Minasi's "Mastering Win XP Pro":
1) Control Panel -> Network Connections
2) Advanced -> Optional Networking Components
3) Check Other Network Filan and Print Services; click Next

4) wait for install (CD must be mounted)

Then
1) Start -> Printers and Faxes
2) Printer Tasks - Add a Printer (gets to Add a Printer Wizard)
3) Local Printer Attached to This Computer; uncheck Automatically Detect

4) Click Create a new Port
*** type = LPR Port
*** Next
5) Name or Address of Server Providing lpd = DNS name or IP address of Linux box; possibly 127.0.0.1
** also the name of the print queue (mine is "lp0")

** Next

That should do it.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Jim Ramsay

Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> * "ipp://hostname/printers/printername" which in my case would
> be "ipp://vishnu.fmp.com/printers/hpdj_1120c (or I can substitute
> the LAN IP address for the hostname)
>
> * "http://hostname:631/ipp/queue" which appears to translate to
> "http://vishnu.fmp.com:631/ipp/queue" with no specification
> for the printer in the URI. Since the hpdj_1120c doesn't have a
> queue specified in cups, I assume this URI should be used
> literally.

I've done this with great success. On my Linux box, for example, I
have a printer called "Engineering", and I use the following URI
in my WinXP box (running inside a VM):

http://10.8.50.71:631/printers/Engineering

Notice how it's a clever combination of the two URI's you mentioned
above. I don't remember where I saw this, but it was on some CUPS page
I found via google in the past... Perhaps here[1]...

It should connect and let you pick the driver. I personally found it
useful to choose Generic / MS Publisher Imagesetter. If you actually
want to use the real HP client-side driver, the same article[1]
mentions how to enable raw printing on the cups server, but I've never
done that.

[1] http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

Enjoy!

--
Jim Ramsay
Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)

Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:55 -0400, Jim Ramsay wrote:
> > * "ipp://hostname/printers/printername" which in my case would
> > be "ipp://vishnu.fmp.com/printers/hpdj_1120c (or I can substitute
> > the LAN IP address for the hostname)
> >
> > * "http://hostname:631/ipp/queue" which appears to translate
> > "http://vishnu.fmp.com:631/ipp/queue" with no specification
> > for the printer in the URI. Since the hpdj_1120c doesn't have a
> > queue specified in cups, I assume this URI should be used
> > literally.
>
> I've done this with great success. On my Linux box, for example, I
> have a printer called "Engineering", and I use the following URI
> in my WinXP box (running inside a VM):
>
> http://10.8.50.71:631/printers/Engineering

Thanks. This is _really_ good to know. I've played numerous variations
on the URI syntax and never seemed to get it right. CUPS documentation
tells one how to connect via CUPS to an exported printer elsewhere, but
not very well how CUPS exports printers for use elsewhere.

I basically bombed on this project. I followed directions to load PS
drivers via samba, and that didn't work, so now I need to find out how
to UNload them from Windows, which wants to attach the printer to the
previously downloaded driver willy-nilly. Editing the registry didn't
help. I'll apparently have to go find the drivers and expunge them from
the C:windowssystem32 directory tree. I have a RAW printer configured
in CUPS, which ought to help. The main purpose of this was give access
to a printer from a VMware guest installation of Windows XP. I ended up
solving the problem by connecting XP directly to the printer port via
the virtual parallel port expressed in VMware. This works considerably
better with VMware 6 than it did with VMware 5, so for now I'm OK with
the problem. If I can figure out how to expunge the drivers altogether
from XP I'll take another crack at it via shares.

This facility is fairly complex to set up and and the documentation for
it sux. CUPS documentation is absolutely abominable, and the Gentoo
HOWTO docs have errors that should be corrected, e.g. setting 'printcap
name' to 'cups' in smb.conf doesn't work, although all the docs tell one
to do this. CUPS maintains a printcap at /etc/printcap and this should
be the value of 'printcap name' in smb.conf, in which case individual
printers don't need to be defined explicitly in smb.conf but are
exported as shares through the '[printers]' section.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at