Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Donnie Berkholz

Default MacBook Intel GMA950 w/ Dell 2407WFP monitor - display problems

On 19:42 Sat 01 Dec , Joe wrote:
> I'm experiencing some display problems when using the latest version of
> X.org on Gentoo with my MacBook. I've followed the Gentoo-MacBook Wiki Talk
> page on how to get DRM working by compiling the kernel without DRM support,
> and then installing x11-drm with portage. I've also installed the
> xf86-video-i810 driver, and I must have done something right, because
> glxinfo reports direct rendering as on. But that's one of the few things
> that /is/ working correctly. Here are the relevant sections of my xorg.conf
> file:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Built-in Device"
> Driver "i810"
> Screen 0
> Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "External Device"
> Driver "i810"
> Screen 1
> Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
> #BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> BusID "PCI:0:2:1"
> EndSection

With the new randr-1.2 that's in all of the 2.x intel drivers, multiple
monitors are handled a bit differently. You just have a single device
section that refers to both of them. Take a look at
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html for details.

> X displays on both monitors in clone mode, with my built-in screen at
> 1280x800, while my external monitor is at some really low resolution (I'm
> not exactly sure, but it's probably somewhere around 1024x768). And that's
> my main problem: no matter what resolutions I enter into my xorg.conf file,
> my monitors don't change their resolutions (even if I put 640x480 as the
> only option). In fact, I get the same result if I don't use any xorg.conf
> file at all.

Probably because it's ignoring those obsolete settings and using the
defaults, just as it would without an xorg.conf.

> Using xrandr is bit more promising. Running it without any arguments
> produces the following output:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 864, maximum 1920 x 1920
> VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right)
> LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 286mm x 178mm
> 1280x800 59.9*+
> 1024x768 60.0
> 800x600 60.3
> 640x480 59.9
> TMDS-1 connected 1152x864+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
> 1920x1200 60.0 +
> 1600x1200 59.9
> 1680x1050 60.0
> 1280x1024 75.0 59.9
> 1152x864 74.8*
> 1024x768 75.1 60.0
> 800x600 75.0 60.3
> 640x480 75.0 60.0 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
>
> I can successfully change my resolution on the Dell monitor to 1680x1050 --
> definitely an improvement. But when I try to change to 1920x1200 or
> 1600x1200, my monitor goes blank, and then displays the following:
> "Out of range signal.
> Cannot display this video mode,
> change computer display input to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz"
>
> Those display modes work fine on OS X and Windows XP, so there's nothing
> wrong with the monitor or graphics card. I'm really a newbie in this stuff,
> so yeah... I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.

You might need to explicitly note that the high-resolution mode requires
reduced blanking by adding 'Option "ReducedBlanking"' in your Monitor
section. I couldn't find any documentation for this option, so if you
didn't already know what reduced blanking was, the postinstallation
notice for xorg-server probably wouldn't help.

The 'cvt' tool installed with xorg-server can help you generate a
reduced-blanking modeline by hand, if you need to do that. You can then
add that modeline to xorg.conf or dynamically add it for that X session
only using xrandr.

Thanks,
Donnie

Old 12-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 23:58 Sat 01 Dec , Joe wrote:

> On 1-Dec-07, at 10:44 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>
>> With the new randr-1.2 that's in all of the 2.x intel drivers, multiple
>> monitors are handled a bit differently. You just have a single device
>> section that refers to both of them. Take a look at
>> http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html for details.
>
> Thank you so much for your help. However, I'm slow at this. Sorry. :-(
> Here's my updated xorg.conf file:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Intel 945G "
> Driver "intel"
>
> Option "monitor-LVDS" "Builtin"
> Option "monitor-TMDS-1" "External Monitor"
>
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Builtin"
> Option "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "External Monitor"
> VendorName "DEL"
> ModelName "DELL 2407WFP"
>
> Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
> Option "ReducedBlanking"
> EndSection

This part looks mostly good, except you haven't set the relative
relationships of the two screens (left, right, etc). That belongs in the
monitor sections now, according to the link I posted last time.

> Section "Screen"
>
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Intel 945G"
> Monitor "Builtin"
>
> DefaultDepth 24
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1280x800" "1024x768" "640x480"
> Virtual 2048 2048
> EndSubSection
>
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>
> Identifier "External Screen"
> Device "Intel 945G"
> Monitor "External Monitor"
>
> DefaultDepth 24
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1920x1200" "1600x1200" "1680x1050"
> "1024x768" "640x480"
> Virtual 2048 2048
> EndSubSection
>
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Dual Layout"
> Screen 0 "Default Screen"
> Screen 1 "External Screen" Above "Built-in Screen"
>
> Option "Clone" "On"
> #Option "Xinerama" "On"
>
> InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
> InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection

You've still got a mixed combination of old and new setups. You should
only have one screen section, and your serverlayout section should not
have two screens or anything related to dual screens in it (clone
option). After making that change, I suppose you'll need to list all the
modes you care about for either monitor in the single screen section.

Thanks,
Donnie

Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 23:30 Mon 03 Dec , Joe wrote:
> Thanks again. Looks like I'm getting close, because now dualscreen works
> correctly! Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get the monitor to
> use 1920x1200 mode with the reduced blanking option turned on. I even tried
> using cvt like you recommended in your first reply:
>
> cvt -r 1920 1200 60hz
> # 1920x1200 59.95 Hz (CVT 2.30MA-R) hsync: 74.04 kHz; pclk: 154.00 MHz
> Modeline "1920x1200R" 154.00 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235
> +hsync -vsync
>
> and then did a xrandr newmode/addmode, but I still get the "out of range
> signal" error when I try to switch to 1920x1200R. Thanks again for your
> help,

Hmmm. If you try a slightly lower-resolution mode (say the 1600x1200 you
tried earlier), or the same mode with a lower refresh rate (50Hz
maybe?), does that work? The other OS's could be cheating their refresh
rate a bit. Also, do you have the manual for your monitor? That may have
details on the precise numbers. You could verify that the vertical
refresh and horizontal rates are correctly detected, or specify them
manually in xorg.conf.

Thanks,
Donnie

Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Duncan

Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> posted
20071204200451.GK29076@supernova, excerpted below, on Tue, 04 Dec 2007
12:04:51 -0800:

> Hmmm. If you try a slightly lower-resolution mode (say the 1600x1200 you
> tried earlier), or the same mode with a lower refresh rate (50Hz
> maybe?), does that work? The other OS's could be cheating their refresh
> rate a bit. Also, do you have the manual for your monitor? That may have
> details on the precise numbers. You could verify that the vertical
> refresh and horizontal rates are correctly detected, or specify them
> manually in xorg.conf.

More practically for those (such as myself) who often buy used
monitors... Google! =8^) Put in the make and model number, and I've yet
to have Google fail to find at least /one/ site with the frequencies
listed.

Also, I don't know what reduced blanking is all about, but I do know know
I've had very good luck generating custom modelines using Kolas' custom
modeline generator. There's several sites on the net running the script
and it can be googled if one goes down, but here's the one I've got in my
bookmarks:

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

I've successfully used that and slightly tweaked manually set clock
settings (if google said 120 HorizSync max, sometimes 121 will work) to
eek out 2048x1536@59Hz on monitors rated 1600x1200.

Talking about refresh rates: I've found my tolerance for low refresh
rates is MUCH better with dark background, light text/foreground color
schemes. With a white background, I can tolerate down to ~70 Hz, but
with a decent dark background color scheme, that drops down to ~58 Hz.

This is with the older CRT tech one is most likely to find used, of
course. LCDs in my resolution range are unfortunately still out of my
budget range. (Something like the Apple Cinema 30", 2560x1600, two of
them @ ~$1700 each... Yes, out of budget range, tho getting close enough
to at least look at, now.)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Joe

Hmmm. If you try a slightly lower-resolution mode (say the
1600x1200 you

tried earlier), or the same mode with a lower refresh rate (50Hz
maybe?), does that work? The other OS's could be cheating their
refresh
rate a bit. Also, do you have the manual for your monitor? That
may have

details on the precise numbers. You could verify that the vertical
refresh and horizontal rates are correctly detected, or specify them
manually in xorg.conf.

More practically for those (such as myself) who often buy used
monitors... Google! =8^) Put in the make and model number, and
I've yet

to have Google fail to find at least /one/ site with the frequencies
listed.

Okay, I got the following specifications directly off the Dell page:

Dell 2407WFP

Horizontal Scan Frequency kHz
30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic)

Vertical Scan Frequency Frequency kHz
56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic) ), exception 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz only

Optimal Resolution
1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz

Preset Display Modes

* VESA, 720 x 400 - 31.5 kHz Horizontal, 70.0 Hz Vertical, 28.3 MHz
* VESA, 640 x 480 - 31.5 kHz Horizontal, 59.9 Hz Vertical, 25.2 MHz
* VESA, 640 x 480 - 37.5 kHz Horizontal, 75.0 Hz Vertical, 31.5 MHz
* VESA, 800 x 600 - 37.9 kHz Horizontal, 60.3 Hz Vertical, 40.0 MHz
* VESA, 800 x 600 - 46.9 kHz Horizontal, 75.0 Hz Vertical, 49.5 MHz
* VESA, 1024 x 768 - 48.4 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 65.0
MHz
* VESA, 1024 x 768 - 60.0 kHz Horizontal, 75.0 Hz Vertical, 78.8
MHz

* VESA, 1152 x 864 - 67.5 kHz Horizontal, 75.0 Hz Vertical, 108 MHz
* VESA, 1280 x 1024 - 64.0 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 108
MHz
* VESA, 1280 x 1024 - 80.0 kHz Horizontal, 75.0 Hz Vertical, 135
MHz
* VESA, 1600 x 1200 - 75.0 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 162
MHz
* VESA, 1920 x 1200 - 74.0 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 154
MHz

I tried using lower refresh rates (~50Hz) at 1600x1200, but that
didn't do anything.

Also, I don't know what reduced blanking is all about, but I do
know know
I've had very good luck generating custom modelines using Kolas'
custom
modeline generator. There's several sites on the net running the
script
and it can be googled if one goes down, but here's the one I've got
in my

bookmarks:

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

I'm a little bit confused as to what I should input there. Since I
want a 60Hz vertical refresh rate, that means I enter '60' as my max
and min refresh rate, correct? Does the same also apply to the
horizontal scan frequency? What about the bandwidth?

I tried entering the following information:

Max Bandwidth: 154 Mhz
Min Bandwidth: 154 Mhz
Max Vertical Frequency: 60 Hz
Min Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Max Horizontal Frequency: 74 Khz
Min Horizontal Frequency: 74 Khz

And got the following results:
'# RESOLUTION TOO LOW: 1920 x 1200'

I also got the same results when I set the horizontal scan frequency
to 30-81 Khz.

Thanks,

Joe